Contemporary Worship Leader Position Summary
Highland United Methodist Church
Fort Thomas, KY
Reports directly to Pastor and Staff-Parish Relations Team
The Contemporary Worship Leader is a part-time position (approx. 15-20 hours a week) that will directly oversee and provide all spiritual leadership and creative support to leading the Contemporary Worship experience at Highland United Methodist Church in
Fort Thomas, KY. This position requires planning and executing all musical components of worship including, but not limited to selection and arranging of music, developing and training volunteer worship leaders, recruiting and training volunteers for the Praise
band, assisting in the weekly planning process and working collaboratively in a team setting.
In addition to leading worship, the Contemporary Music Worship Leader will be responsible for casting vision around bringing creative expression into the worship experience. Additional opportunities may become available (such as a youth praise band that
may lead worship at other events or any other creative worship art) The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/ or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
- Be a committed follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to know, love and serve God.
- Exemplify the church’s values and uphold the staff policies
- Have a servant’s heart as an artist and a missional drive toward building community.
- Understand and be able to champion the church’s mission, vision and journey and the theology and traditions of the United Methodist Church with a passion for Connecting People to Christ using music and worship.
- Have a proficiency on guitar or piano as well as vocal leadership ability.
- Have proven experience in performing, training, and directing an wide-ranging group of musicians in a variety of musical genres and working with a team of people.
- Show a knowledge of modern worship music (including a knowledge of current worship trends in worship) and secular songs appropriate for a worship setting.
- Be able to relate to and lead a multi-generational congregation in worship
- Understand how to see and communicate the “big picture” of the worship experience and organize the details.
- Have excellent oral communication skills q Have a high level of initiative, motivation and enthusiasm.
- Be proficient in Mac & PC platforms,, Worship Planning Center, and Media Shout.
- Be able to maintain confidences, effectively listen and communicate, and have the ability to resolve conflicts in a productive and God-honoring manner.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate music and video selections that provide a God-honoring weekly worship experience (this includes making sure there are welcome slides, announcement slides, background slides, etc.).
- Recruit, develop, and schedule a volunteer Praise Team.
- Provide leadership for 9:30am Contemporary worship service.
- Provide leadership for and coordinate music for Praise Team rehearsals.
- Initiate appropriate new music opportunities for volunteers
- Establish a Contemporary Worship Leadership Team for planning meetings (and perhaps even explore such a team having a greater spiritual bond through Bible study).
- Work closely with audio visual staff and team for quality worship experience.
- CREATIVE openness through continuing education and the guiding of the Holy Spirit.
We are open to this position becoming more than part-time with creative thinking and leading. More worship arts will encompass more time from the leader and greater participation from the congregation (which we hope will only increase under such direction).
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15,000.00 /year