Director of Christian Education for Children and Youth
Mallard Creek Presbyterian Church is seeking a full-time Director of Christian Education to promote and supervise the Children and Youth Christian Education Program. The purpose of this position is to build disciples for Jesus Christ by developing and executing
a comprehensive approach to the children’s and youth ministry. The ideal candidate will exhibit personal qualities of sound Christian character; develop caring relationships with children, youth and their families; facilitate their growth and involvement in
the life of the faith community, planning and implementing educational, fellowship and service opportunities (including mission trips), recruiting, supporting and training volunteers. The Director of Christian Education will work as part of a team of professional
staff, elected church leadership and volunteers in a coordinated effort to nurture the children and youth of this faith community in Christian discipleship.
- Supervise, manage and promote the children and youth Sunday School program, including the recruitment and training of teachers; the review, ordering and evaluating of curriculum, and working with ordained staff in the implementation of the Confirmation
- Supervise, manage and promote Youth Club and Teen Fellowship Programs, recruiting and training volunteers for teaching and leading activities as appropriate.
- Supervise, manage and promote other educational, fellowship, service and spiritual development programs and opportunities, such as youth retreats, Vacation Bible School, Midweek at Mallard Creek, Presbytery camps, youth conference, other fellowship activities,
fund raising and mission trips.
- Facilitate the participation of children and youth in congregational worship, including helping coordinate the Children’s Message, organize Youth and Graduate Sundays, and other worship opportunities.
- Supervise the Preschool Director with assistance from the Preschool Board. Consult the board and attend Preschool board meetings.
- Ensure the Child, Youth, Volunteer and Staff protection policy is implemented at all times. This includes training workshops for those working with children, as well as new officers and employees.
- Serve as ex-officio member of the Fellowship, Education and Spiritual Nurture Committee and the Youth and Children’s Committee. Supervise the Church Library Committee.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Head of Staff.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Meeting with pastoral staff and committee chairpersons as necessary for the implementation of the program
- Attend committee meetings associated with the Children and Youth Program, and other committee meetings as necessary for the implementation of the program
- Attend worship services
- Ensure the nursery is appropriately staffed
- Ensure that all teachers and volunteers are trained in Sexual Misconduct Prevention Policy
Minimum Qualifications and Competencies:
- A Bachelor’s degree in children’s education, preferably a Christian Education Degree
- Preferably 3 years of experience in Christian Education and Youth Ministry
- Spiritually mature; enthusiastic about Christian nurture and discipleship; relationally competent with conflict management skills
- Must have vision and demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate and manage a youth ministry program
- Love for children, youth and their families, demonstrating competency in interpersonal relationships
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals and teams of volunteers
- Competency in verbal and written communication, graphic creativity and artistic abilities
- Technologically savvy; highly organized; socially adept; intergenerationally nimble; fun to be with
- Physically able to engage in play and other activities with children and youth
- The ideal candidate would combine a highly-relational approach with the maturity and organizational skills to connect and communicate well with children, parents, and volunteers.
Compensation, Benefits and Terms:
- Competitive with education, training and experience
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to DCEposition@mallardcreekchurch.org.