The Graphic Designer attracts and serves Valor’s target audiences by visually communicating the school’s brand, mission and culture.
As a creative collaborator, you must also be a practical producer who can translate thumbnails, grids and wireframes into finished designs for digital and print resources and brand merchandise.
When it comes to photography, you will work with the Marketing and Communications team to capture images that enhance the website and social media engagement—whether you take photos directly or work with others to get them.
The team will count on your eye for color and composition because you understand the power of visual communication and brand equity. You will keep a close watch on brand standards for the school and its key programs to ensure a cohesive visual identity.
For year one in this role, the school’s brand alignment and website are strategic priorities and will remain crucial to engaging all audiences.
You are most likely to thrive in the role of Graphic Designer if you are a growing, career-minded professional who is qualified and excited to fulfill the following responsibilities. Although not focused directly on students, your role will benefit them
as you combine your faith and work within Valor’s Christ-centered environment and partnership with parents.
Demonstrate Commitment to Valor Christian High School
- Accept and uphold Valor’s Statement of Faith
- Accept and abide by all affirmations in Valor’s Annual Statement of Commitment
- Serve wholeheartedly as an exceptional and trustworthy teammate by upholding and embodying Valor’s culture as set forth in the
Valor Culture Document
Produce Clear and Compelling Marketing and Communications
- Attract, serve and retain target audiences aligned with Valor’s mission and representative of its four pillars: Academics, Arts+Media, Athletics and Discovery
- Produce designs, templates and visual elements for the school’s website, broadcast email, social media, videos, print collateral, advertising, key events, school store merchandise and other resources
- Coordinate with Valor’s web developer to confirm specifications and production of mobile, tablet and desktop web page designs and graphics, with awareness of special coding, HTML, plugins or integrations as needed
- Ensure the capture of photographs for marketing and communications purposes
- Uphold Valor brand identity standards through modeling, training and accountability school-wide for all programs and products
- Conduct periodic review of web graphics as needed to keep the site accurate and relevant
Contribute to an Efficient Project Pipeline
- Participate in Marketing and Communications project management systems and teamwork to serve the school as a whole and its various departments
- Provide design and art production to support ongoing communications and special projects from concept to completion, with attention to marketing goals, market competition, deliverables, schedules, deadlines, budgets, vendor production and delivery
- Ensure appropriate archives of creative assets and completed projects
Pursue Professional and Personal Growth
- Stay up-to-date on marketing and design trends and tools, and develop proficiency to sustain individual and team excellence
- Strategic Engagement team, including Marketing and Communications, Admissions, Donor Relations and Community Relations with parents and alumni
- Marketing and Communications team members, contractors and vendors
- Representatives of all school departments
- Parents, students and alumni
- Target audiences in the Valor community become informed and engaged as they receive and respond to school communications that present a clear, cohesive brand identity
- The Marketing and Communications team is known school-wide for creativity, skill and collaboration
- Annual operating goals are fulfilled with excellent work, on time and on budget
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, media arts or a relevant field
- 3–5 years of experience in graphic design or a relevant field
Skills and Software
- Mastery of design elements, such as color, typography and composition, with an artistic sensibility to effectively use these elements
- Excellent communication skills to present ideas visually and verbally to project stakeholders
- Demonstrated knowledge of brand identity standards application to multiple programs or products
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud, especially InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Proficiency with website content management and styling in systems such as WordPress
- Familiarity with UI/UX practices and trends
- Familiarity with broadcast email systems such as Emma or MailChimp
- Familiarity with print production requirements for digital and offset formats
- Proficiency with Mac computers, Microsoft Office, Google Suite (Mail, Docs, Drive, Calendar) and website content management systems
- Preferably some familiarity with tools such as Basecamp 3, Shopify and customer database systems
- Digital photography skills are a plus
This role description describes the general nature of the work and is not a comprehensive list of all required duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
POSITION TYPE: Full-time Exempt, Schedule C – Year-round
HOURS PER WEEK: 40+
SUPERVISOR: Marketing and Communications Manager