The Communications Director will have responsibility for and participate in all of SIM USA’s communication channels, impacting people considering serving with or supporting SIM. The Communications Director will find, evaluate and approve outside media resources
providing the capacity needed to accomplish the established Recruitment and Donor related goals. The Communications Director will ensure the SIM brand is properly communicated equipping SIM with compelling content and a consistent voice.
This important role provides a challenging leadership opportunity, to influence strategic direction in missionary recruitment and donor development with a global organization.
- SIM USA
- Direct responsibility for all areas in media operations
- Member of the Go Group Leadership Team
- Leader of the Brand Leadership Team
- Communications Project Manager
- Other areas and people as deemed necessary
WORKS CLOSELY WITH:
- Other leaders of the Go Group, particularly the Recruitment Team
- Various department managers requesting media
- The Brand Leadership Team and the brand Champions on maintaining consistency of the brand
ANNUAL TRAVEL REQUIRMENTS:
- Possibly one international trip, 1-2 weeks in duration
- Two to four overnight trips annually within the U.S. (primarily exhibits at conferences)
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Leadership and Oversight
- Work with and provide oversight to Communications Project Manager in print media, digital communications, and other collateral media (displays, banners).
- Ensure the development of adequate resource suppliers to meet short and long term goals.
- Propose and develop the capacity needed for media operations to meet the demands of SIM USA.
- Actively contribute toward a good team spirit.
- Develop an annual media budget.
- Develop an annual plan for the media/communications, in alignment with the SIM USA and Go Group annual plan.
- Participate in key staffing decisions
- Make decisions and interact with outside vendors serving on a contractual basis in collaboration with the Communications Project Manager.
Quality Control and Brand Management
- Maintain quality of copy, design, visuals, printing and digital programming.
- Safeguard brand consistency with all communication projects.
- Provide training on brand consistency as needed in SIM USA.
- Work in collaboration with the Recruitment Team, Stewardship Group and outside marketing consultants in setting and implementing marketing strategy for recruitment and donor development including digital and direct response fund raising.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Passion for God’s global mission
- Understanding of, commitment to, and appreciation for SIM’s heartbeat and purpose
- Experience with international mission work
- Personal presence that will relate well with SIM personnel and professional service providers
- Interpersonal attributes that will foster quick credibility
- Ability to handle pressure and crises
- Willingness and ability to speak up among peers
- Competent listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Capacity to live with and maintain confidentiality
- Emotional stability
- Natural gifts that align with responsibilities of the role
- A learner
- Models being exceptionally relational
- Familiarity with how SIM is structured and operates and how to get things done in SIM USA and across SIM as a whole
- Self-motivated, self-directed
- Strong customer service mindset
- Ability to work well on a team and foster a collaborative environment
- Conflict management skills and creative problem solving
- Demonstrated experience managing and executing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with minimal oversight
- Understanding of photography, videography, marketing, print and digital media
- Proven experience and ability to work well with executive leadership
- Established experience leading a team and working with multiple departments
- Demonstrated experience in designing and executing a plan
- Ability to think strategically, operate both globally (big picture) and specifically (details)
- Demonstrated leadership initiative, while being part of a team
- Proficiency in online project management software, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree; preferably three years related experience
- Committed to grow as a follower of Jesus Christ
- Demonstrate agreement with SIM’s Statement of Faith and Core Values by signing the “SIM Commitment”
- Attend and participate in daily SIM prayer and worship times
- Minister to SIM missionaries, staff, ministry partners, prayer partners, local churches, and donors through prayer, words of encouragement, and acts of service