RELATIONSHIPS ~ LEADERSHIP ~ IMPACT: JEAN VANIER’s vision for humanity is dynamic and growing in L’Arche St. Louis! You can join us for an exceptional, life changing adventure in friendship, self-discovery, and faith. Do you have an open
heart, a commitment to personal growth, and a belief in the unique sacredness of every person? You belong! Hourly wage, room and board, and full benefits. Learn more about us at www.larchestlouis.org/were-hiring.
Summary of Position: The role of an Assistant is to share life with Core Members and Assistants in relationships of mutuality, to support the Core Members in daily life activities and to live fully the identity and mission of L’Arche, in
the context of an intentional faith community.
Organizational Relationships: Reports to House Coordinator(s) and Assistants’ Coordinator. Collaborates with Assistants and House Coordinator as a house team.
Responsibilities to and with Core Members
- Establish mutual relationships with Core Members
- Respect the rights and dignity of Core Members at all times
- Assist with activities of daily living and personal care
- Assist with stewardship of finances and possessions
- Assist in preparation of meals and house cleaning
- Provide transportation
- Assist with administration of medications (after certification)
- Assist with the planning, implementation, and documentation of Individual Service Plans
- Attend and participate in activities of Core Members’ choosing such as swimming, bowling, community gathers, church services, etc.
- Announce L’Arche in the broader community and general public with Assistants and Core Members
- Foster relationships of mutuality and friendship in the broader community
- Participate in and lead prayer and celebrations
- Contribute actively to upkeep and maintenance of the house, including cleaning, raking, mowing, shoveling as needed
- Know and adhere to L’Arche and state policies and regulations
- Attend meetings and trainings as required
- Plan and assist with community gatherings and events
Qualities & Qualifications:
- Embraces mission and values of L’Arche
- Desire to share life with people with and without developmental disabilities and to establish relationships of mutuality
- Desire and capacity to live community life
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High school diploma, college graduate preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Interpersonal skills relative to healthy communication and self-awareness
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability and willingness to learn/use computer skills
- Openness to listen to and accept feedback
- Commitment to personal and spiritual growth
- Sense of humor
- Certification in First Aid, CPR, Positive Behavior Support, Abuse & Neglect, Confidentiality, Medication Administration, Person-Centered Planning (provided during orientation process if not currently trained)
- TB test at commencement of employment and every year thereafter
- Free of communicable diseases
- May assist in the transfer of individuals to/from wheelchair, chair, bed, toilet, vehicle, etc.
- May require lifting at times, up to 50 pounds
- May require prolonged walking and standing for up to eight hours
- May require frequent bending, stooping, and stretching
- May require driving up to 4 hours
- May experience various climatic conditions
- May require working with difficult emotional and physical behaviors such as physical or verbal aggression, seizures, etc.
Expectations after initial 3-month Introductory Period
- Exhibits recognition of personal limitations and openness to embrace them
- Exhibits knowledge of and adherence to philosophy and policies of L’Arche St. Louis and the state of Missouri Department of Mental Health, Division of Developmental Disabilities
- Exhibits ability to work as a team member
- Has completed all required L’Arche and state trainings and certifications
Evaluation: To be evaluated annually by Assistants’ Coordinator at the end of 3-month Introductory period and annually thereafter.