Part-time Position Available
Shelter Coordinator/House Manager
National United Methodist Church, located in Northwest DC, is seeking a part-time Shelter Coordinator/House Manager to work with St. Luke’s House and Metropolitan House, two transitional shelters operated in partnership with Friendship Place, one of the
city’s most respected homeless service providers. St. Luke’s House (3655 Calvert St. NW) houses up to six men and Metropolitan House (located at 3401 Nebraska Ave. NW) houses up to four women in an environment that emphasizes independent living.
Hours are from 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. two to three nights per week. Reports to National UMC’s Director of Operations, with day-to-day coordination of program administration coming from National UMC’s Transitional Housing Board members. Position is ideal
for seminarians, graduate students, or others free to work in the evenings and on weekends. $20/hour.
- Visiting both sites during each work shift
- Checking in with residents
- Convening periodic house meetings for the residents of each site
- Encouraging residents to stay engaged with case managers and pursue goals related to employment, housing, transition plans for outplacement, and other needs
- Helping residents develop and implement a plan for sharing chores
- Assisting with intake procedures when new residents are admitted
- Monitoring supplies and reporting supply needs or facility concerns
- Staying abreast of meal delivery schedule, being available to receive meal donations as needed, and delivering meals between the sites when needed
- Maintaining a daily log
- Reporting issues and concerns to National UMC’s Transitional Housing Board and/or Friendship Place’s director of programs or case managers
- Attending meetings of National UMC’s Transitional House Board, as requested
- Passion for helping people help themselves
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Interest or background in counseling, social work, or ministry preferred
- Access to a personal vehicle or other means of transportation between the 2 sites
Send resume to Lucinda Kent, Director of Operations, National UMC, firstname.lastname@example.org.