This position serves as supervisor for the Payroll Department. This position is responsible for supervising all payroll functions, processing and producing all payroll information, and working closely with campus departments to assure compliance with internal and external policies and
- Responsible for all aspects of payroll administration, including the development, direction, implementation, and ongoing maintenance and function of the University's payroll operations.
- Supervises staff in the Payroll area. Interviews, hires, trains, communicates expectations, reviews work, provides feedback and completes evaluations. Provides direction to payroll staff and student workers regarding policies and procedures, and regulatory or restriction requirements. Assists staff as needed
to resolve issues.
- Provides leadership with respect to the University's payroll system and is considered a system expert, including systems upgrades and/or replacement. Provides necessary training to other users of the payroll system as needed.
- Proactively develop, implement and enforce strong internal controls over the University payroll systems, analyze and audit payroll, resolving payroll discrepancies through research and analysis.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on changing payroll developments and payroll tax laws as it relates to the education environment. Implements policies and procedures related to the University payroll and provides interpretation and direction as needed.
- Maintains Payroll Department operational documents including policies, procedures, and operational work flow diagrams. Recommends improvements to current procedures and policies.
- Provides excellent customer service to all individuals with whom contact is made and training to campus departments regarding Payroll Department policies and procedures on an ongoing basis. Research and respond to payroll related inquiries.
- Ensure all payroll and benefit related journal entries are posted to the General Ledger (GL) accurately and timely. Includes, but not limited to:
- Review payroll related GL accounts for accuracy and reasonableness. Reconciliation of other payroll general ledger accounts as assigned.
- Prepare schedules/reports as assigned that are needed for the annual financial statement audit and tax returns.
- Completes all payroll-related government and agency reporting. Includes all federal and state payroll reporting, from quarterly Form 941s to annual payroll Form W-2 tax forms preparation, regular tax deposit payments, garnishment reports, and verification
- Perform University's payroll functions accurately and in a manner that is consistent with the University policies and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Payroll functions include, but not limited to:
- Manages faculty and staff payroll processes. Includes preparing information for entry into the system, entering and reviewing compensation details and deductions for completeness and accuracy, reviewing timesheets for appropriateness, and printing checks and advices of deposit.
- Responsible for entering and auditing payroll benefits/deductions, reviewing and auditing enrollment benefits/deductions processed by Human Resources.
- In conjunction with the Controller, Assistant Controller and/or Budget and Finance Manager, perform operational analysis, university-wide financial analysis, and tax treatment research.
- Provides backup to other Payroll Department staff during busy workload periods, vacations and illnesses.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or related field. Relevant work experience may be substituted for education.
- Five or more years work experience with proven ability to process payroll efficiently and effectively in a high volume environment, including work with tax reporting and compliance.
- Two or more years of supervisory experience.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Ability to work independently.
- Basic understanding of accounting and finance.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret policies and regulations.
- Experience using Personal Computer (PC) and mainframe computer applications.
- Good organizational and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituencies.
- Experience using complex Excel spreadsheets, database, financial and application.
- Experience using query tools and report writers.