United Methodist Church of Westford (UMCW)
Office Administrator Job Profile -- March 2018
Our Mission: God calls us to be disciples of Jesus,
Reaching out in service and fellowship to share the love of Christ
The Office Administrator is responsible for multiple activities that support the life of our church – including church administration, pastoral administrative support, and participation in church communications. This is a part-time position – see Work Hours
In addition to the responsibilities of the position, the Office Administrator is the “face of UMCW,” creating a welcoming environment for those visiting and reaching out to our church. The person in this position should be a Christian who feels “called
to Christian service” and is dedicated to promoting the mission and goals of the church.
- I. CHURCH ADMINISTRATION
- Maintain the online church calendar and schedule of committee meetings – assign room usage to all groups using the Church facilities
- Provide administrative support to church leaders and committee heads where needed
- Attend monthly ministry team meetings and record minutes
- Help maintain Church360° membership database
- Assist the pastor with any information required from the database and calendar for annual statistical reports, working in conjunction with the Treasurer and the Trustees
- Update Google Docs as requested by church leaders
- Ensure the church office runs efficiently, responding to email requests daily, checking regular mail, ordering office supplies, scheduling maintenance for office equipment
- Work closely with and provide guidance to UMCW’s volunteer “office angels” who periodically offer help with office tasks
- II. CHURCH COMMUNICATION
- Prepare the weekly bulletin and weekly inserts that support our Sunday services using Constant Contact, Microsoft Publisher or similar tools, and distribute the bulletins and inserts electronically prior to the service
- Produce the monthly newsletter by gathering material from the pastor and other church leaders
- Update and publish additional annual publications, including -- the Mission and Ministry Booklet in preparation for the start of the new church year, the Charge Conference booklet at the end of the year, and the electronic Church Directory (and print directories
if requested by congregants). Provide additional Charge Conference support as needed, for example printing committee reports.
- Prepare other periodic correspondence and mailings as needed under the pastor’s direction
- Provide multimedia support for the Sunday service worship team, helping to produce PowerPoint slides and projection materials
- Work with the church’s Communications team to produce external PR materials, and support that team with social media, website content and outreach to the local media
- III. ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT FOR THE PASTOR
- Help the pastor identify congregational needs for pastoral care and nurturing, maintaining close contact with church leaders, and setting up counseling meetings and other appointments for the pastor
- Meet with the pastor once a week for prayer and reflection, and to discuss priorities for the coming week related to pastoral care and church administration
- Proof and edit as necessary the pastor’s written correspondence and communication to the congregation
PROFESSIONAL EXPECTATIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Possesses a positive attitude, a quick smile, and strong interpersonal skills
- Has excellent writing and editing skills
- Is a self-starter, good at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects
- Collaborates well with others, but can also be effective working independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Word – proficiency in other Office applications such as PowerPoint is a big plus. Must be comfortable learning and/or using other applications such as Google Docs, Constant Contact, Church360° Membership Database.
WORK HOURS AND PAID TIME OFF
- 25 hours per week, except for June-August (20 hours per week) Hourly rate is $20.48.
- As the “face of UMCW” the Office Administrator is expected to be present in the UMCW Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. In the summer, from June through August, it is a 4-day work week (specific days can be discussed).
- Flex time can be applied – if the Office Administrator needs occasional personal time during regular work hours, or if the church needs the services of the Office Administrator outside of regular work hours (for example, to attend the monthly Ministry meeting
one evening per month).
- Paid Vacation time – 2 weeks per year. After five years of employment, 3 weeks
- Paid Sick/Personal time – up to 6 paid sick/personal days per year
- Holidays – 8 paid holidays per year (New Year's, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas and choice of either President's Day or Columbus Day)
Send your resume, application or questions to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.