Hiring English Composition Teacher for an American-style University in China
No teaching experience or ablity to speak Chinese required.
Have you ever said you would be willing to serve overseas? Would you like to join a large Christian community overseas?
We are interested in people with a variety of backgrounds, but we are especially looking for those with experience or college degrees who love travel, are flexible and enjoy mentorship. We are looking for people who desire to travel and have a heart to mentor
students [teaching experience preferred, but not required].
Watch our intro video to learn if this community of intentional adventurers is what you are called to join: https://www.youtube.com/academicsinasia/
English Composition Course Description:
This course will develop the students' understanding and utilization of western writing conventions in order to effectively communicate thoughts and ideas in an international setting. In order to meet this objective, this course will discuss cultural compositional
differences, the writing process, and types of essays. Students will submit two essays to demonstrate mastery of this course.
General Curriculum Objectives: The students will…
- Compare compositional differences between western and Chinese writing styles.
- Apply the writing process to write and revise two main essays.
- Determine the best type of essay according to purpose and audience.
- Improve in technical writing skills, such as coherency and use of grammar.
Specific Objectives: The student will be able to…
Upon completion of this course, students will identify and explain cultural differences between Chinese and western compositions. They will understand the organization of a western-style essay: introduction, thesis, topic sentences, body paragraphs, and
conclusion. The student will demonstrate proficiency in writing the following types of essays:
- Compare and contrast writing.
- Argumentative writing.
The student will also utilize the writing process: prewriting, topic selection, thesis writing, outlining, drafting and revision. Students will also learn how to edit and revise peer essays.
Academic teachers prepare lectures and discussions for classes of 60 students on average, and multimedia classrooms are assigned for these courses. The full-time teaching load for academics is 12 class hours a week, providing ample time for preparation and
meeting with students. Textbooks and other resources, including supervision, are provided.
Apply by April 10 for Fall Jobs (but the earlier you apply the more likely you will get a job offer).
If you do have teaching experience, you are qualified for higher paying jobs.
Our University, SIU, provides one of the smoothest transitions into the Chinese culture as you join a university that caters to their 160 foreign faculties. AIA is the official recruiting branch for SIU.
Academic teachers prepare lectures and discussions for classes of 60 students on average, and multimedia classrooms are assigned for these courses. The full-time teaching load for academics is 12 class hours a week, providing ample time
for preparation and meeting with students. Textbooks and other resources, including supervision, are provided. Flexibility to provide input into new textbooks and supplemental case studies possible. Applicants with corresponding degrees, teaching experience
or work experience in an academic course discipline will be considered for openings.
Each year we hire 20 New Career Professional Teachers & 30 Conversational English Teachers at University (See Pictures of the Univeristy Campus: http://bit.ly/SIU-Campus)
Approximately 55 of our 140 foreign faculties teach Oral English classes which are offered for Freshman and Sophomores. Every year we hire about 20 new Oral English Faculty. If you come with a spouse, he/she may be able to teach one of these
classes. Families encouraged to join our faculty! We have 11 families on staff with children. Other partner schools are looking to us for teachers, too. Learn more at www.jobs.academicsinasia.com/
- Airfare to China
- Return Airfare - with completed one year contract
- Medical Care Allowance
- Accident Insurance
- Apartment: www.academicsinasia.com/foreign-faculty-housing/
(family housing apartments are larger, request pictures if you are a family)
- Internet and Utilities Paid
- Paid Holidays
- Free Chinese Lessons
- Starting salaries range from 4,500 - 9,500 RMB a month depending on degree attained and other factors, with annual raises. Higher salary for higher degrees. (In 10 months its possible to save $2000-4000 USD). Use this tool to estimate your savings: www.academicsinasia.com/how-much-could-i-save/
- Academic Teachers Need a Masters Degree. Oral English Teachers need a BA Degree and an approved TEFL Certificate or BA and 2 years teaching experience. Higher salary for higher degrees. FYI, if you don't have a TEFL Certificate that's not a problem, we
can send you more information about how to get the right TEFL Certificate.
- Professional or informal teaching experience preferred.
- The desire to interact in a cross-cultural setting.
- Willingness to learn and develop teaching with excellence.
- Degree needs to be from USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
- Ability to work with a myriad of people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Willingness to enter into a foreign country with patience and diligence.
- Commitment to integrity and a heart of servant-leadership.
- You will be living in a community for 150 Foreigners with 120-300 impressionable students looking up to you as a role model.
- You will be expected to have interpersonal skills, be a team player, and realize life in China requires flexibility.
- 1 English Composition see www.academicsinasia.com/academics/
- 2 Cross-cultural Communication www.christianjobs.com/job/225199/
- 4 Business Teachers: see www.academicsinasia.com/academics/
- 10 Oral English Teachers: see www.christianjobs.com/job/225490/
- 1 Social Media Marketing Manager: see www.christianjobs.com/job/229966/
- 1 Video Producer: see www.christianjobs.com/job/229965/
Intro Video: www.youtube.com/AcademicsInAsia
School Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRbvVgcAeA&feature=youtu.be
Sample ESL Lesson: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN08fxD6Xwc&feature=youtu.be
Follow: (see faculty stories via video and images)
We will interview til positions filled. Early applicants will have more opportunities presented to them.
Any questions? Visit our FAQ ( www.academicsinasia.com/FAQ/ ) and PLEASE introduce yourself to us!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Call Aaron at 209-877-7427
Want more info? Email me. Or, upload your resume here: www.academicsinasia.com/apply-now/