If you are interested in working with struggling teens in a teen mental health setting, as a teen mentor, Shelterwood provides an exciting and challenging opportunity for you. Our Christian direct care staff work directly in teen counseling, teen substance
abuse treatment, and teen ministry. We are located in Independence, Missouri.
The role of a full time, live in Mentor involves an initial contract of one year. As you successfully complete each of the four competency levels, additional compensation and promotions may be available. This position includes:
Training and Career Development
- Extensive training. We train staff in residential care. Examples of training include working with teens that have a variety of behavioral issues, knowledge of HIPAA guidelines and documentation, state mandated reporting, and Ministry Safe.
- Providing safety and oversight utilizing Shelterwood’s unique therapeutic program. You’ll also develop competencies in administering medications and Handle with Care restraint techniques. (Training emphasizes de-escalation rather than restraint.)
- Demonstrating competency with TBRI (Trust Based Relational Intervention) to engage struggling teens. This helps teens learn positive behaviors for return to their home and school environments.
- Participating in a variety of opportunities to develop a professional resume.
Encouraging Faith Development and Growth
- Teaching and relational based mentoring designed to engage and develop teens’ Christian faith.
- Leading teens in Serve Days and Mission Trips that are designed to help students develop empathy, care for others, and spiritual growth and maturity.
- Conducting bible studies to help students recognize the value of Scripture.
- Speaking at Chapel or leading special activities designed to challenge students’ spiritual growth.
- Working with the challenges of serving teens and living in community to develop a more powerful personal dependency upon Christ.
Engaging in the Shelterwood Community
- Working alongside teens as they do chores, activities and special projects to build responsibility and integrity.
- Leading various activities designed to engage teens, help them develop new interests, and learn healthy interpersonal skills.
- Participating in Town Hall meetings based on the Residential team’s needs.
- Providing feedback representing the residential team in treatment team meetings where residence, school and therapists plan treatment goals and interventions.
- Assisting in general chores and kitchen duties as part of the residential team.
- A college degree and/or experience working with teens.
- A sincere faith in Jesus Christ.
- Medical Insurance.
- Room & board and all meals included.
- Starting salary $1,300 a month.
Our campus is tobacco, smoke and alcohol-free. We hire only non-tobacco users.
Location: Independence, Missouri
Shelterwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.