Dyersburg Cumberland Presbyterian
Church Seeks Full Time Minister of Music
City of Dyersburg, TN
"Located in Northwest Tennessee, Dyersburg is the gateway to middle America. Dyersburg is
a regional retail, medical, employment and cultural center for more than 300,000 people who
live in a tri-state area that includes Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri. We are a progressive
community that is proud of our history and excited about our future. We offer you
outstanding school systems, Dyersburg State Community College, low taxes, a safe
community, job opportunities, churches, civic clubs, cultural organizations, recreational
outlets and many other amenities." - http://www.dyersburgtn.gov
Dyersburg Cumberland Presbyterian Church
We are a small church of around 300 ish people. On a typical Sunday morning worship
service, you can expect those in attendance to number 200 or more. We currently have one
worship service on Sunday mornings at 10:15 AM. Also, starting at 9:00 AM on Sunday
mornings, we have several Discipleship/Bible Study/Small groups that meet prior to morning
We have what is considered to be a “Blended” worship service. We value the traditions that
have provided meaningful worship through years past. And, we believe that we can share in
God’s creative Spirit by adding new worship styles and traditions to our services. The
ministers wear robes and during some seasons, the choir does also. We have a wonderful
choir that leads the congregation in old hymns and newer, contemporary worship music. We
sometimes use our piano and organ and other times use guitars and drums. We have
hymnals and a big screen to aid in our corporate worship. So, a little old, a little new, but all to
the glory of Jesus.
Position Summary: In consultation with the Senior Pastor, the Minister of Music leads the
ministry of music throughout the life of the church. This includes using the congregation’s
musical gifts as a means of, and aid to worship, leading the congregation to minister to each
other through music, encouraging the fellowship of individuals and groups who share an
appreciation of music and fostering musical talents and expression among all age groups
within the congregation.
Minister of Music
• Plan, organize, and lead the ministry of music.
• Work with the pastoral staff, other music ministry staff, and volunteers to ensure that
appropriate congregational and special music are provided for all Sunday worship services
and for other church services and programs, as needed.
• Lead the Chancel Choir in worship services and cultivate the musical gifts of Chancel Choir
and other choral and instrumental group members.
• Organize and oversee the children’s music ministry program and provide direct leadership
for at least one of the children’s choirs. Ensure that the children’s choirs participate on a
regular basis in worship services and provide leadership for other children’s musical
activities, such as children’s musicals.
• Organize and oversee all other choral, handbell, and musical group activities for all
• Encourage and lead the development of additional choral and/or instrumental groups
within the congregation, especially those involving middle school and high school youth.
• Encourage and recruit members of the congregation of all ages to offer their musical gifts in
the service of Christ and the church in a wide variety of ways.
• Encourage and lead the Chancel Choir and instrumental groups to present occasional larger
choral works (e.g.. Christmas/Easter cantatas).
• As resources permit, encourage and participate in the development of other musical
activities as a means of Christian fellowship and congregational outreach, such as
intergenerational dramatic musical presentations.
• Encourage congregational singing as an essential part of worship.
• Administer the music ministry program effectively.
• Attend staff and program meetings to provide professional guidance and assist in planning
to ensure a high quality music ministry program.
• Work with other music ministry staff to recruit volunteers to lead, assist, or provide
instrumental accompaniment for all musical group activities.
• Evaluate, select, and purchase or secure choral music for Sanctuary worship services
representing a wide range of styles, including classical, traditional, gospel/spiritual, and
• Assist other church music staff in purchasing or securing music, supplies, and other
materials for the music ministry program, as needed.
• Provide for the systematic care of all music ministry materials, including choir robes and the
church music library.
• Provide for the systematic care and maintenance of pianos, handbells, the pipe organ, and
other church-owned musical instruments, and develop a plan for ensuring that they remain
fully functional and up to date.
• Plan and oversee the budget for the music ministry program.
• Continue to grow professionally as a church musician.
• Remain abreast of current developments in church music by maintaining contact with other
churches and professional groups.
• Be active in professional development through continuing education, reading current
literature, and participating in professional societies.
• Highlight the spiritual dimension of music.
• Promote an understanding of music as an arena for spiritual growth in relationship to Jesus
• Teach how music is connected to the particular worship service’s biblical and spiritual
• Model a Christian attitude of welcome and concern, fostering supportive and caring
relationships among choir members and other participants in the music ministry program.
• Partner with ministry staff in offering pastoral care for those involved in the music ministry
and provide them with opportunities for fellowship.
• Firm personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
• Commitment to seeing music as a ministry of spiritual growth and development.
• Appropriate musical education/training and/or professional experience.
• Significant skills in choir training, piano accompaniment, and the selection of appropriate
music. (Competency in multiple instruments a plus)
• Demonstrated leadership qualities in recruitment, program coordination, and
• Ability to work collegially in planning and programming and in providing support,
encouragement, and guidance for ministerial and support staff.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the theology and practice of worship.
• Ability to make a creative contribution to the total church program.
• Pastoral concern for all persons in the music ministry.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people of all ages.
The Minister of Music is hired by the Session and reports directly to the Senior Pastor.
The Minister of Music oversees in a collegial manner the music ministry staff; works closely
with those involved in planning and conducting worship services requiring vocal and
Terms of Employment:
The general terms of employment and benefits are spelled out in the Personnel
Policy/Guidelines section of the Dyersburg Cumberland Church Policy Manual.
This is a professional, salaried position. The Personnel Committee is responsible for annual
staff reviews, and the Session is responsible for setting the level of compensation for this
position as part of the annual budget process. Compensation is commensurate with
Apply with current resume, a brief letter of introduction, three letters of reference, and
any supplemental examples of performance and/or leading music in a worship
environment. Send application to :
Dyersburg Cumberland Presbyterian Church
2280 Parr Ave, Dyersburg, Tennessee 38024