First Liberty Job Description: Comptroller
First Liberty Institute is a non-profit public interest law firm and the largest legal organization in the nation dedicated exclusively to defending religious liberty for all Americans. We believe that true religious freedom means recognizing the fundamental
right of every individual to follow their conscience and to live according to their beliefs. Founded in 1997 and based in Plano, Texas, our legal team partners with elite volunteer attorneys across the country to secure religious freedom, from local matters
to the Supreme Court, at no cost to our clients. For more information, please visit www.FirstLiberty.org.
The Comptroller will be a key member of the finance team working closely with the COO/CFO and another accounting team member. This position would require a great responsibility for fund accounting to assist the organization in achieving key goals.
- General accounting and financial functions and financial statement preparations.
- Prepare reports to summarize and forecast organization financial activity and financial position in areas of fundraising, expenses, etc based on past, present and expected operations.
- General ledger activity.
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and year-end close process.
- Work with COO/CFO on preparation of the company budget.
- Arrange and prepare for audits of organization accounts.
- Active CPA preferred
- Non-profit experience preferred; 990 forms
- Solid understanding of accounting processes and procedures and US GAAP
- Proven ability to meet daily and monthly deliverables
- Proficiency with accounting software systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, with advanced working knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to work efficiently independently as well as part of a team.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with effective prioritization abilities.
- Sound judgment and strong reasoning skills.
- Strong analytic and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Education and Experience
- 3-7 years experience or equivalent exposure in a non-profit, legal, issue advocacy or government environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, or Accountancy at a minimum, MBA preferred.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a credible track record. First Liberty
Institute is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health, 403(b), and vacation benefits.
First Liberty Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability or marital status, in accordance with federal and state law.