EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – CITYTEAM SAN FRANCISCO
Job Title: Executive Director
Area/Location: San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Cityteam President
Subordinates: San Francisco Staff, Volunteers & Interns
Date Submitted for Approval: 2.5.18
Job Description Approved: 2.7.18
Classification: Director / Full-time / Exempt
Cityteam Ministries is seeking an Executive Director to lead our efforts in San Francisco. We are looking for someone with a servant’s heart to oversee Cityteam’s mission to serve those struggling with poverty, homelessness, and addiction. You will lead
by example, rolling up your sleeves and doing whatever is necessary to serve the clients, staff, and community. Our ideal candidate will already be invested in San Francisco and have strong connections with churches, organizations, businesses, and city officials.
While Cityteam is a ministry, we need someone who is able to build partnerships and understands the complexities of running a business. The San Francisco Executive Director is an executive-level position ultimately responsible for all aspects of Cityteam San
Francisco including staff leadership, fundraising, ministry operations, budgets, vision casting, and shepherding.
Our San Francisco Team is experienced and passionate about helping the least among us in our community. God is moving in San Francisco and Cityteam can be instrumental in bringing transformation to The City. If you feel called to serve the marginalized here
in San Francisco, we’d love to hear from you.
- Develop a strategic plan to grow our ministry in San Francisco, providing the most needed services to The City.
- Oversee all ministry operations, including Spiritual Discipleship, Residential Program, Learning & Career Center, Emergency Shelter, Dining Hall, and Residential Housing.
- Ensure all program services are formatted to support Cityteam’s strategy to reach all underserved people groups.
- Make decisions, analyze situations in depth, and provide realistic solutions to problems.
- Serve on Cityteam Executive Leadership Team and participate in Cityteam strategy meetings.
- Ensure that Cityteam San Francisco is in compliance with all local and state laws and regulations.
- Support the ongoing practice of disciple making by developing spiritual community into our onsite programs.
- Advocate for Cityteam with those in your circles of influence.
Finance, Fundraising, Donor Acquisition, and Public Relations
- Develop strategic partnerships with key political leaders, community leaders, business partners, and churches in the greater San Francisco area.
- Build relationships and communicate the Cityteam San Francisco vision to key churches, community leaders, business partners, and key donors in the greater San Francisco area, securing their financial partnership in this faith venture.
- Solicit and secure major gifts from donors by developing and maintaining relationships with a sufficient number of major donors to meet yearly fundraising goals.
- Cooperate with the Cityteam Leadership and VP of Finance to develop the annual budget in accordance with policy, procedures, and timelines to ensure that all programs are managed within the budget.
- Work with marketing to implement fundraising strategies and public relations to ensure needed support is available to fund operations.
- Work with marketing to ensure consistent and appropriate communication is disseminated.
- Work with Development to cultivate and submit corporate and foundational grants.
- Provide leadership with major donor events that have a special focus in and around San Francisco.
- Regularly represent Cityteam as a speaker in churches, service clubs, etc.
Recruitment and Staff Management
- Recruit, train, and manage staff to supervise volunteers and interns.
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers have explicitly written and agreed upon responsibilities, and that they are managed and held accountable.
- Advise and cooperate with the Vice President of Human Resources and HR Manager in circumstances of staff hiring, management, reviews, staffing adjustments, discipline, and terminations.
- Utilize strong relational skills to relate to people of all ages, races, denominations, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand and sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl
- Frequently walk up and down stairs
- Talk and hear
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms
Required Education and Experience
- 4-year degree or related experience
- 5-year minimum managerial experience
- Valid California Driver’s License with a clean record
- Computer literate and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Professional written and spoken communication skills
- Previous experience raising financial support
Preferred Education and Experience
- Advance degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with drug and alcohol holistic transformation principles
- Previous involvement or partnership with Cityteam
- Familiarity with Salesforce, Volunteer Hub, or other donor management software
- Seasoned public speaker
- This job typically operates in an office environment
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
- This position will regularly interact with staff and volunteers in our ministry areas including but not limited to the Shelter, Dining Hall, Kitchen, and Learning & Career Center
- While infrequent, this position may interact with volunteers in a professional kitchen and be exposed to typical items such as a stove, knives, chemicals, etc.
- This role will occasionally need to maneuver in tight quarters amongst donations, rolling racks, shelving, storage containers, and stacked boxes
- This role will occasionally need to load or unload a truck filled with food, boxes, and supplies
- Days and hours of work are typical M-F business hours with occasional weekends and evenings, and on-demand, as necessary
- This role will occasionally need to drive to local meetings or events
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for Cityteam Ministries
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community with other Christ-followers
- Must have compatible theology on major issues of Cityteam's Statement of Faith
- Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ