SHELTER DORM COORDINATOR
Job Title: Shelter Dorm Coordinator
Area/Location: Chester, PA
Reports to: Rescue & Residential Program Manager
Subordinates: Interns and Volunteers
Date Submitted Revision: 2.13.18
Job Description Approved: 2.14.18
Classification: Coordinator / Full Time / Non-Exempt
Salary: $15 per hour, DOE
Cityteam Chester is looking for a Shelter Dorm Coordinator to join our Rescue & Residential Program Team. We are looking for someone who is passionate about helping the homeless and has a desire to serve, however necessary. The Shelter Dorm Coordinator will
not only work behind the scenes to make sure all of the logistics and details are taken care of, but you will also interact with our Emergency Shelter and 2nd Chance Program guests, showing them God’s love and mercy. We work in a highly unpredictable
environment with guests who may be hostile and seemingly unappreciative. You will need to speak truth in love, modeling Christ-like behavior while still following and holding guests accountable for following Cityteam processes and procedures. Our ideal candidate
will be committed to creating a safe environment and building relationships while maintaining healthy boundaries. The Shelter Dorm Coordinator will coordinate many aspects of the Shelter and 2nd Chance Programs, including supervising the guests
and maintaining a safe environment. Because our facility is a men’s shelter and due to the nature of this position and the supervisory responsibilities in both the dormitory and shower areas, the Shelter Dorm Coordinator must be male.
The Shelter Dorm Coordinator will build and develop relationships with outside agencies. You will provide support to the Resident Advisors, Case Managers, and Volunteers. You will assist the Rescue & Residential Program Manager with intakes and drug testing.
You will also provide administrative help by keeping accurate records and completing paperwork in a timely manner. The Shelter Dorm Coordinator must be well-organized and provide outstanding customer service. You’ll interact with a wide variety of people
including staff, volunteers, and guests. You must be committed to relational wholeness and handle conflict with truth and grace. It is essential that the Shelter Dorm Coordinator is comfortable working with the homeless, has a teachable spirit, and is committed
to team participation. The Shelter Dorm Coordinator will be concerned for the spiritual, emotional, and physical welfare of all department clients and volunteers.
- Provide physical supervision and ensure the safety of the Emergency Shelter and 2nd Chance Programs.
- Coordinate and supervise Emergency Shelter and 2nd Chance Dorm chores.
- Supervise the Emergency Shelter intake process.
- Conduct client intakes and drug tests.
- Track Emergency Shelter Residents, 5-day Referrals, & Verification of Stay Forms.
- Facilitate intake appointments for long-term residential communities.
- Track inventory and supply and demand of hygiene and laundry products.
- Track 2nd Chance resident progress and community compliance.
- Collaborate with Rescue & Residential Program Manager, Mission Operations Coordinator, and Career Specialist to develop best practices for all residential clients.
- Maintain an environment that is conducive to building trust and unity as well as high motivation and achievement.
- Represent Cityteam at community Homeless Coalition meetings and other collaborative partnerships.
- Develop action plans and case management strategies for shelter clients to achieve program goals, including sustainable income, affordable housing, and community engagement.
- Utilize effective discipleship strategies to encourage spiritual growth of clients.
- Help recruit, train, and supervise Resident Advisors, Case Managers, and Volunteers.
- Advocate for Cityteam with those in your circles of influence.
- Participate in staff meetings, trainings, and other teambuilding activities.
- Assist team as needed.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand and sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, climb & kneel
- Walk up and down stairs
- Talk and hear
- Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Must be male
Required Education and Experience
- College degree or applicable experience
- Experience working or volunteering in a shelter or rescue mission
- Computer literate
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Outlook
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Supervisory experience with the ability to intelligently delegate
Preferred Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Previous experience working with, mentoring, our counseling in the field of homeless ministry
- Knowledge of chemical addiction and holistic transformation
- Familiarity with Cityteam, addiction, and homelessness
- Previous supervisory experience
- Previous customer service experience
- This job typically operates in an emergency shelter environment
- This role occasionally uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
- This position will regularly interact with staff and volunteers in our ministry areas including the Mission, Chapel, Shelter, and Residential Programs
- While infrequent, this position may interact with volunteers in a professional kitchen and be exposed to typical items such as a stove, knives, chemicals, etc.
- This role will occasionally need to maneuver in tight quarters amongst donations, rolling racks, shelving, storage containers, stacked boxes, and a conveyer belt
- This position will occasionally work in an open warehouse environment that can be cold and drafty
- Days and hours of work are typically Monday-Friday 2:00-10:00 pm with the expectation of working one or two Saturday shifts each month
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for Cityteam Ministries
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community with other Christ-followers
- Must have compatible theology on major issues of Cityteam's Statement of Faith
- Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ