Director of Finance & Operations (Cleveland, Ohio)
A United Church of Christ Congregation
For confidential consideration, more details on how to apply, questions about salary range, and/or to participate in a phone-screen conversation, interested candidates may contact:
Rev. Arrie Denise ‘Niecy’ Thomas-Williams | Strategic Search Partner
Send Resume & Salary History/Requirements
Are you looking to manage all aspects of the financial operations for a church that is on the move? This is a great opportunity for a candidate that is looking to make a difference and execute the vision for a church that is growing. Not only would you be
involved with the day-to-day financial responsibilities, but you would provide leadership and guidance for the strategic vision of a church affiliated with the United Church of Christ.
This position works closely with the Senior Pastor in the day-to-day management of operational responsibilities covering the Finance & Operations areas. This position serves as a Verbal Advocate of the Senior Pastor, ensuring the financial structure of the
church supports and undergirds its growth initiatives and future pursuits. If you are a Finance & Operations expert, who possesses the acumen of a Church financial architect, possessing advisory and consultative skills to help build financial structures,
we are looking for you!
Among the Various Duties are the Following:
- Monitors expenses in line with church budgets and conducts budget training sessions.
- Meets regularly with the Senior Pastor to discuss status of all areas of financial operations.
- Evaluates current financial reporting systems, and makes recommendations for improved procedures, operating systems, budgets, and other internal control functions.
- Prepares and analyzes complete and accurate monthly financial statements, manages cash collection, cash disbursements, and cash-flow process.
- Prepares timely bank reconciliations, establishes and maintains relationships with bank representatives, manages investments and prepares annual endowment and fund analysis.
- Monitors debt agreements and evaluates loan options.
- Manages accounts receivables, monitors congregant payment patterns, and addresses any concerns or issues.
- Processes payroll using a third-party vendor and records necessary journal entries.
- Plans, directs and coordinates regulatory reports required by law.
- Attends meetings to provide financial status of the church, including attendance at special events to support the church congregation.
- Oversees and provides leadership/guidance to the Operations staff or contractors.
- Performs other duties/projects as requested by the Pastor, Committees, or designees.
Among the Position Qualifications are the Following:
- Master’s degree or Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Accounting is preferred or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required, CPA a plus.
- 8-10 years’ experience, strong financial reporting.
- Non-profit financial background specific in church accounting a definite plus
- 5-8 years’ direct management experience in a multi-staff church setting preferred.
- Must possess experience with endowments, payroll and contracts.
- Must understand the ministry of stewardship.
- Non-profit financial background specific in church accounting is a definite plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and QuickBooks.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, be well-organized, and possess a professional demeanor.
- Must be able to focus on details, prioritize, meet deadlines and assume initiative.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills.