Director of Music Ministries Job Description
SCOPE: The Director of Music Ministries is to provide leadership and direction to the music and choral-related programs in the church, both regular and special events. The Director of Music Ministries is to work closely with the Pastor
and the Worship Committee in planning programs and provide guidance and assistance to the music/choral participants in the church in order to enhance the spiritual life of the congregation through music and worship. In order to fulfill this role adequately,
the Director of Music Ministries needs to have a strong, growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- Direct Chancel Choir, Praise Choir, and Contemporary Band at weekly rehearsals and atSunday worship services.
- Assist other choirs as needed (ex. Children/Handbells).
- Meet with Worship Committee monthly and the Council on Ministries bi-monthly.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, if possible.
- Consult with the Chairperson of the Worship Committee for requested supplies and equipment.
- Solicit and coordinate the use of special music groups into the worship services.
- Arrange a substitute musicians for worship services and/or rehearsals when needed.
- Be broad and flexible with choice of music so as to appeal to and reach our congregation and community.
- Maintain choir room and music files.
- Plan worship services in conjunction with the Pastor and Worship Committee.
- Be familiar with the overall goals and vision of the congregation in order to plan appropriately.
- Other duties as required to fulfill the position of Music Director.
- Make arrangements for the necessary singers and/or musicians for weddings, funerals, and other special services.
- Oversee the coordination of audio/video system operators.
- Ability to listen, communicate, and work well with people of all ages and musical backgrounds in order to effectively lead rehearsals and music in worship.
- Ability to help recruit people to participate in the music programs.
- Awareness of how music strengthens the worship experience.
- It is strongly desired that the Music Director is proficient in playing piano.
- Workweek will be an average of 25 hours per week.
- This position will pay an annual salary and will not include any benefits.
- Three (3) weeks vacation per year will be given. (A week equals Wednesday night rehearsals, Thursday night rehearsal, and one Sunday for a total of three Wednesdays, three Thursdays, and three Sundays per year.)
- Pay period will be bi-weekly for 26 pay periods.
The Director of Music Ministries will report directly to the Pastor in conjunction with the Staff Parish Relations Committee. Annual review will be completed at the same time as other staff members.