This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Compliance
Bible League International
Crete, Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 08/09/2012
Job Type: Full-Time
Through the support of generous donors, BLI is providing people with Bibles they can understand so that they will be brought into fellowship with Jesus Christ and His Church. We do this worldwide by translating, distributing, and engaging people in the Scriptures.
The purpose of this position will be to protect the reputation of BLI by adhering to the various legal/tax requirements in which it operates. The Director of Compliance will direct and manage legal and tax compliance efforts of the International Ministry Center, as well as international operations. This person will serve as an authority on relevant laws and regulations that may affect the ministry. Preventing unethical, illegal or improper conduct will be a top priority.
This position will be located in Crete, IL.
• In coordination with corporate General Counsel, manage BLI legal matters, including but not limited to corporate compliance, licensing, business operations, tax law, intellectual property, real estate, mergers and acquisitions, international corporate structure, employment, and the regulatory environment.
• Maintain system of documents/procedures necessary to substantiate compliance by BLI and the foreign affiliates.
• Identify both in-country legal and tax compliance requirements applicable to each foreign affiliate and establish relationships with local legal counsel to address them. Stay abreast of upcoming/current changes and become familiar with the details of the regulation and advise management of the operational impact of trends and changes. Implement regulatory changes as necessary.
• Vetting of foreign affiliates and their principals. Ensure that all accountability reports are obtained for foreign affiliates.
• Annually review governing documents and legal registration of BLI international offices.
• Review and register BLI’s branding within countries of operation in order to protect BLI’s brand.
• Monitor compliance and royalty agreements.
• Draft and manage partnership agreements, grant agreements and affiliation agreements.
• Oversee state registrations for fundraising, state employment registrations for withholding and unemployment tax, state sales tax registration, and state sales tax exemption filings.
• Ensure that annuity registrations are completed properly, as well as trademark and copyright registrations.
• Review estate documents received, and correspond with attorneys for estates.
• Work with vendor on any legal matters for real estate gifts received.
• Review contracts, leases and other types of legal agreements, as requested by staff.
• Must be a Christian, having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Must also agree with our statement of faith and conduct him/herself in a Christ-like manner.
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in legal, finance, business, or other related area.
• Must possess 4-5 years of experience in a related field. Previous legal or paralegal experience preferred.
• Must be able to exhibit competence in reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts.
• International experience working with diverse constituencies and regulatory/legal structures is preferred.
• Experience advising non-profit organizations regarding legal/regulatory matters is preferred.
• Must be able to exhibit the flexibility necessary to manage numerous tasks simultaneously. Must exhibit strong organizational skills and a high attention to detail.
• Working knowledge of MS Office and familiar with various accounting software applications.
• Must demonstrate superb judgment, excellent analytical, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, and impeccable professional discretion. Must possess the ability to help solve problems by developing and/or implementing practical solutions that combine legal considerations with programmatic and policy objectives.
• Must be able and willing to travel internationally as necessary (less than 10% anticipated).
BLI offers outstanding benefits: medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term disability, matching 401(k), paid holidays and PTO. To learn more about the ministry, please visit www.bibleleague.org.
Resume and cover letter may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Compliance Position” in the subject line.
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act Section 702, Bible League International has the right to and will only hire candidates who agree with Bible League International's Statement of Faith and profess Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.