This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Program Coordinator, Construction, South Sudan (1177)
Akuem, South Sudan, Sudan
Date Posted: 05/24/2012
Categories: Contractor & Other Trades - Missions/Int.
Job Type: Full-Time
Akuem, South Sudan - This position is based in Akuem which is located in Northern Bahr el Ghazal State (NBeG) and is the primary field office for the Church Reconstruction Project (CRP), which has constructed more than 478 churches. During the many years of civil war in Sudan, the Christian church in the south faced persecution and church buildings were looted and demolished, many of them being burned to the ground. Since the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) was signed in 2005, Samaritan’s Purse (SP) has been bringing hope and answers to prayer for South Sudanese Christians by helping rebuild destroyed churches.
In the fall of 2010, Akuem base also began a Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) program and drilled 62 wells in 2011 with a drilling rig owned and operated by SP.
In December 2010 and January 2011 thousands of South Sudan returnees traveled from Khartoum by bus, lorry and railway to Northern Bahr el Ghazal State due to the referendum vote and the potential secession of South Sudan. The returnees are continuing to arrive having fled South Sudan during the decades of civil war between the north and south. SP has responded to the situation using the organization’s resources in WASH and becoming involved in NFI (non-food item) distributions for returnees at destination points throughout Northern Bahr el Ghazal State.
The Program Coordinator, Construction should give oversight and direction to the construction crews on each building site. This person is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the building plans are implemented both effectively and efficiently. The Program Coordinator, Construction is responsible for quality control, implementation of appropriate construction standards and practices, maintaining on-site inventory, material procurement, ensuring necessary equipment is maintained, assisting in logistics to sites, financial controls, and developing relationships with the local church communities. The Program Coordinator, Construction may fill in for the Church Reconstruction Program Manager when needed.
• Oversee and direct multiple construction sites and staff in multiple regions.
• Communicate to the Construction Manager any problems concerning quality and control.
• Train and instruct crews in construction practices.
• Assess and evaluate problematic structures.
• Ensure safety on construction sites.
• Maintain inventory records of equipment used on sites.
• Assistance with material forecasting and material procurement.
• Ensure mobilized sites have correct quantity and quality of materials before building crew arrives.
• Ensure equipment and assets are properly maintained.
• Act as a logistical liaison between bases and building sites.
• Assist in managing Contracts and Finances
• Manage sub bases set up for construction purposes.
• Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
• Maintain a Christian witness to staff and communities.
• Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
• A National Diploma in Building Construction or Civil Engineering and a minimum of 2 years on site experience, preferably in an international setting.
• One year of college-level Biblical studies is preferred.
• Strong leadership skills and communication skills.
• Inventory and bookkeeping experience.
• Possess flexibility and adaptability according to the needs of the project.
• Be culturally sensitive and aware of differences; respect church leaders from all denominations.
• Able to be diplomatic in communications with all Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), governmental, and community partners.
• Ability to drive a standard transmission vehicle on rough road and extremely muddy conditions.
• Cheerful, diplomatic, encourager, concern for the spiritual well-being of the team.
• Spiritual maturity; Ability to keep the focus of work on the overall goal of sharing the gospel.
• Ability to speak Arabic or Dinka preferred
12 month contract with the potential for renewal.
This is an unaccompanied assignment.
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The work of Samaritan’s Purse is marked by five distinct objectives, grounded in Scripture and biblical principles:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible-- “God Room”