This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Portland Rescue Mission
Portland, Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 05/23/2012
Categories: Graphic Design - Social Services
Job Type: Full-Time
General Description of Work
The Writer/Graphic Design Specialist will convey stories of Portland Rescue Mission’s transformational work in the lives of men, women and children in the Portland area through printed media. This specialist will communicate these stories with integrity in compelling, concise and personal ways, using design tools and writing skills. Primary responsibilities will include, design, writing, layout, file preparation and producing for Portland Rescue Mission’s printed materials in all areas.
• Design print materials for Portland Rescue Mission, primarily for the Development department’s donor communications.
• Design or oversee design of print materials for Portland Rescue Mission outside of Development department.
• Work with multiple design software programs to create unique print materials according to Development department needs.
• Oversee print projects through final production.
• Respond quickly to priority writing/design requests to take advantage of immediate opportunities and/or needs.
• Write content for various publications, which may include newsletters, brochures, advertisements and press releases.
• Take pictures for print publications or general use as opportunities arise.
• Work with direction from the Creative Lead and in collaboration with other staff, reporting ultimately to the Director of Development Ministry.
• Appropriately interact with Portland Rescue Mission’s homeless guests and recovery residents to capture the details of their life stories and condense them into reader-friendly text for various media.
• Inject excellence into all Portland Rescue Mission communications, both content and presentation.
• Embrace the Portland Rescue Mission ministry culture and help staff and volunteers understand how to clearly communicate the vision and impact of the work we do.
• Serve a minimum of two hours per week in a direct ministry capacity at one of Portland Rescue Mission’s ministry centers to develop and enhance culture of hospitality.
• Provide creative input as part of the Development department to improve overall performance in Portland Rescue Mission’s donor relations efforts.
• Work within established timelines and budgets to deliver on-target results.
• Lead or collaborate with others, across departments and within the Development department to gather complete research needs and share ownership of finish work.
Other Duties as Assigned
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• College degree in related field or experience equivalent
• Multi-tasker, self–starter, deadline-driven
• Prompt and thorough in job performance
• Creative and logical problem solving
• Demonstrated ability to be a team player
• Professional-level graphic design and writing skills – samples required
• Highly proficient in industry-standard design software (Adobe Creative Suite—Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, etc.), and must have a thorough understanding of print production processes.
• Knowledge of digital camera use, photo composition and editing.
• Experience in Microsoft Office software
Personal Attributes & Values
• A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and a testimony
of continued growth in faith
• Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional Biblical Standards
• Adherence to Portland Rescue Mission's Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
• Desire to serve God in the ministry to hurting men, women and children
• Pleasant, gentle, grace-filled manner and servant’s heart toward others
• Genuine acceptance of constructive feedback with a “can do” attitude
• Demonstration of excellent integrity
• Composed and professional demeanor
• Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks as assigned
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. unassisted
• Telephone, fax and voice mail
• Copier and related office equipment
• Multiple design and internet-based software (Adobe Creative Suite—Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, etc.)
• Digital camera with multiple lenses and external flash.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of homeless and addicted people.