This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Salem Web Network
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 03/05/2012
Categories: Communications - Media/Video/Radio
Job Type: Full-Time
Senior Director of Editorial and Brand Development, Salem Web Network
We are seeking a writer/editor who is excited by the idea of delivering the highest quality articles and ideas to an evangelical Christian audience in an online format. This person will be responsible for producing and managing the content for several areas of Salem Web Network’s (SWN) editorial websites, focusing on the Family and Spiritual Life channels of Crosswalk.com.
As an editor, you will assist in the selection of appropriate material for inclusion on the websites as well as write, edit and post articles. You will become a contributor to the vision and development of Crosswalk.com and other SWN websites. You will guide outside writers and content providers in the creation of appropriate online content. Daily duties will include interfacing with freelancers, formatting and uploading articles, and helping to collect and edit material for our online publications and email newsletters.
The ideal candidate:
• Will have a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or Communications or at least 4 years of employment in a related editorial field.
• Must be a highly organized and detail-oriented with experience managing large editorial projects.
• Must have solid writing and copy-editing skills and experience writing or editing on deadline.
• Will display a strong work ethic and operate productively in a team environment.
• Must demonstrate editorial initiative, innovation and creativity with past published materials.
• Must demonstrate an understanding of our evangelical Christian audience members’ interests, behavior, and core values.
• Must be conversant in socio-cultural issues impacting the Christian Church, particularly where these issues concern typical family relationships. Published writings on family related topics are preferred, but not required.
• Will display an ability to interact with both the corporate and religious communities.
• Will demonstrate an understanding of Microsoft Office applications, social media websites and general internet practices.
Experience in the creation of editorial driven video content is a plus.
We offer a competitive benefits package and a yearly salary range commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter, resume, 2-3 published articles to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to 804.205.9648, attn: Stephen McGarvey. No phone calls please.
• This is an editorial position, not a technical one although some basic technical training on our content management and operational systems will be part of the job.
• This position is located in our downtown Richmond, Virginia office and telecommuting will not be an option.
Salem Web Network websites exist to offer insightful and compelling biblically-based content to Christians who take seriously their relationship with Jesus Christ. We work hard to provide timely, relevant, life-enhancing material from qualified, respected Christian sources, with an understanding that the Christian faith applies to all areas of life.
The SWN editorial team creates and manages content for the following online brands:
• Crosswalk.com provides content that helps Christians apply their faith to the daily issues they face in their church, family, community and culture.
• Christianity.com promotes a high standard of Christian orthodoxy in the discussion of theology, apologetics and the essential principles of the Christian faith.
• BibleStudyTools.com offers the highest quality resources available for the study of the Scriptures.
• Jesus.org looks to create a thorough set of resources in a question and answer format for those seeking information about the historical life of Jesus Christ and His place in our lives today.
• theFish.com seeks to discuss the stories and music created by the entertainment world from a Christian perspective, as well as foster positive aspects of Christians’ involvement in the popular arts.
• ReligionToday.com (in development) offers a Christian perspective and opinion on daily news events from around the world.
Content created by the SWN editorial team is syndicated to the Salem Communications “faith talk” and “fish format” radio station websites.
Salem Web Network is a division of Salem Communications, the nation’s largest Christian media company. As the leading provider of Christian and family-friendly content on the Internet, SWN operates over 50 websites.
Salem Communications is an equal opportunity employer.