This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Flight Coordinator, South Sudan (1072)
Juba, South Sudan, Sudan
Date Posted: 02/16/2012
Categories: Management - Missions/Int.
Job Type: Full-Time
Juba, South Sudan - The Flight Coordinator will be responsible for overall coordination and management of all flights in South Sudan and supporting flight operations. This position will support and train area logistics managers in implementing existing air cargo activities while also providing monitoring and evaluation tools to assess progress against agreed objectives. The Flight Coordinator will also identify areas and opportunities for improving cost effectiveness of all flights.
This role will be responsible for regular program reporting to the Senior Operations Manager and must ensure effective coordination of flight activities with the relevant area logistics managers. This position will be based in Juba but may travel up to 20% of the time to Samaritan’s Purse (SP) field sites.
• Know what is required to ensure an airstrip is acceptable for landing in South Sudan.
• Ensure that any airstrip maintenance is done in a timely manner to ensure operations are not halted due to bad maintenance and so they will be ready for rainy season conditions.
• Be familiar with airstrips, fuelling regulations, and fuelling contracts in South Sudan.
• Improve SP flight coordination capacity; research what it would take to put up flight operations for SP in South Sudan.
• Be the main focal point for liaising with area logistics managers for flight movement needs, scheduling of flights, invoicing to joiners, and internal cost allocation between project budgets when any one flight stops at more than one project’s location.
• Continuously ensure that flight operations are only used when absolutely necessary, maintaining a high cost effectiveness standard by always making an evaluation between transport options (i.e. road or plane).
• Be the main liaison for exemption for all flight cargo crossing into Sudan from Nairobi.
• Establish clear strategy and direction for flight coordination with all organizations SP charters with in South Sudan.
• Ensure effective budget management at field level, including correct coding of expenses and adherence to SP’s financial management guidelines.
• Make periodic visits to SP field sites to provide field staff support, address programmatic challenges, and explore potential program possibilities for flight coordination.
• Make weekly financial forecasts for flight expenditures across the different programs in South Sudan.
• Submit monthly reports to the Senior Operations Manager including progress against objectives, activity summary, issues faced, impact stories and photos.
• Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Technical flight knowledge in terms of: payloads and how it is impacted with rotation lengths to different airstrips.
• Practical, quick, reasoning skills; must be able to keep communication lines open with all parties in program of scheduling changes.
• Organizational and time management skills.
• Good interpersonal and written oral communication skills.
• Ability to coordinate activities with area logistics managers and area coordinators, build and maintain positive working relationships.
• Ability to understand complex security situation and advise program design accordingly.
• Willingness to travel in and out of field.
12 month contract with the potential for renewal.