This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Residential Community
The QTI Group
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 11/30/2011
Categories: Education - Social Services
Job Type: Full-Time
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Pres House seeks to be a spiritual home at the heart of the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. In keeping with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the Christian tradition of hospitality, Pres House is dedicated to providing a religious center and high quality student housing to promote the spiritual, emotional, and intellectual growth of residents and members of the campus community. Pres House is a ministry of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. and welcomes individuals of every perspective and background.
ABOUT THE PRES HOUSE APARTMENTS:
Since the 1920s Pres House has had a vision for providing a welcoming living environment for students at UW–Madison. When the original Pres House was built in the early 1930s the plan called for student housing as well as a chapel. The chapel was completed, but the loss of funding as a result of the Great Depression forced Pres House to put the plan for housing on hold. Despite this inauspicious start, the dream of providing a special residence on campus for larger numbers of students never wavered. Almost 75 years later, in 2007, the newly constructed Pres House Apartments opened to its first residents.
The Pres House Apartment facility is a beautiful, seven-story building housing 250 students from diverse backgrounds. The apartments connect via an underground hallway to the Pres House Chapel. Those who purchased the Pres House property almost 90 years ago had the foresight to select a location second to none. Pres House sits on the very corner of the two main pedestrian malls and corridors of the UW Campus: State Street Mall and East Campus Mall.
But the Pres House Apartments are more than a beautiful place to live. They provide a truly unique living experience for students and a tremendous opportunity for ministry due to its location in the heart of the UW–Madison campus. As thousands of students bustle by every day, Pres House stands as a beacon of God’s love, welcomes students into the embrace of Jesus’ grace, and sends disciples out by the work of the Holy Spirit.
Since 2007 Pres House has provided on-site staff, pastoral care, and many programs consistent with the mission of fostering emotional, spiritual and intellectual growth of students on campus. Students naturally spend far more time in their living environment than they do in church, the library, or the classroom. The Pres House Apartments seek to reach students where they are by providing a safe and welcoming home, grounded in the love of God, where growth is nurtured and encouraged, and where students of any faith or of none at all can engage together in an intentional journey toward wholeness.
This year Pres House is launching a number of exciting new initiatives to support the apartments, a very important and growing component of Pres House ministry. The most significant step in this initiative is hiring a Director of Residential Community who will lead a major multi-year initiative to deepen and broaden the impact of Pres House Apartments. The Director of Residential Community will have an opportunity to make a significant impact on the mission and ministry of Pres House, as the position is new and the program is in its early stages of development and implementation.
The vision for the Pres House Apartments is to be:
A safe and welcoming home » grounded in the love of God » where growth is nurtured and encouraged » and where students of any faith or of none at all » can engage together in an intentional journey toward wholeness.
For more information, please visit: www.preshouse.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Director of Residential Community (DRC) will work collaboratively to provide leadership; develop and realize goals for growth; equip, support, and engage residents and students in meaningful community living; envision, develop and implement new programs; and track and report progress. The DRC will work closely with the Campus Pastor/Executive Director, Property Manager, Chaplain Intern, Student Interns and other staff and volunteers. The DRC reports to, and receives support from, the Campus Pastor/Executive Director. This is a full-time position. The DRC is not expected to live on-site. The start date of this position is open and flexible.
Responsibilities for the Director of Residential Community are organized by the following five pillars of mission and ministry in the Pres House Apartments:
Provide a safe and welcoming home:
• Develop and implement programs to welcome all residents and build connections that support the values of the PH Apartments: Personal Responsibility, Community, Academic Success, and Spiritual Exploration.
• Reach out to students across racial, cultural, economic, sexual orientation, ethnic, and religious backgrounds so that all students find a place of belonging at Pres House.
• Assist in dealing with crisis situations and responding to mental health incidents, roommate conflicts and student misconduct.
• Help support evening and weekend activities through advising and attending events.
• Propose changes and enhancements to common spaces in the apartment building that enhance a sense of home and community.
• Invite students to engage with each other through the programs at Pres House while also celebrating diversity, acknowledging choices when it comes to faith issues, and respecting privacy.
Develop deeper and broader community connection within the PH Apartments:
• Work with student interns to lead the Pres House Fellowship micro-community of 10-20 students.
• Develop, launch, direct and evaluate new micro-communities with the goal of engaging 20% of the building in an intentional micro-community within five years (examples: community for returning veterans, recovery community, inter-faith community, intentional Christian community, volunteer service community, etc.).
• Provide regular and meaningful opportunities for Christian community to take place while respecting alternative faith perspectives of other residents.
• Maintain and deepen connections with the Pres House Worshiping Community. Opportunities exist to speak/preach in worship and participate in other activities.
Develop and lead opportunities for residents to engage in intentional growth:
• Develop, launch, direct and evaluate new programs and activities for the whole building with the goal of engaging at least 50% of the building in some intentional journey
towards wholeness. Examples include, but are not limited to: all building social events, service projects and trips, retreats, conferences, classes or special speakers, small groups, community meals, field trips, seminars, prayer groups.
• Identify, recruit, support, train and mentor student pioneers to provide student leadership within the building community. Establish ongoing leadership team.
• Identify, recruit, train, supervise and mentor student interns to lead micro-communities and provide leadership within the building community.
Serve as a mentor, comforter, and advocate for residents:
• Work closely with the Campus Pastors, Chaplain Intern and student leaders to: walk alongside students in their lives and learning in the context of faith, mentor and engage students personally (individually and in groups) to help them claim the presence of God in their everyday lives, succeed academically, explore their vocation and purpose, and develop leadership skills, and support students in times of difficulty and rejoice with students in times of joy through programs, relationships, and care.
Lead and coordinate outreach efforts to support the growing mission:
• Work with Property Management and other staff to develop and implement marketing and communications strategies to invite students to live at the Pres House Apartments as part of micro-communities and intentional living. Seek to maintain intentionally diverse community of residents.
• Lead outreach programs that engage the larger campus and community in the mission and activities of the Pres House Apartments.
• Work with Campus Pastor/Executive Director to raise funds for expanding programs from donors and foundations.
• Work with Campus Pastor/Executive Director to share and interpret the mission and ministry of the Pres House Apartments to the public, the University, churches, parents, and students.
• Build meaningful connections with the wider community including but not limited to: University of Wisconsin, Lubar Institute for the Study of Abrahamic Religions, other Christian campus groups, other faith groups, churches, community non-profits, etc.
• Identify, recruit, and coordinate community volunteers to support programs and micro-communities.
• Evaluate programs and community semi-annually for participation and impact. Provide regular reporting to Campus Pastor/Executive Director and Board of Directors.
This position requires a committed Christian who has entrepreneurial skills, loves working with college students, and has the ability and desire to take a vision, move it forward and turn it into reality with energy and persistence. The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Five or more years of full-time experience in Residence Life, Student Affairs, or other student-focused environment. Prior experience as a live-in Residence Life staff member and/or living learning communities is helpful.
• Experience developing student programs focused on involvement and leadership, and building inclusive, respectful and engaging communities.
• Passion for the mission and vision of Pres House Apartments coupled with the ability to take a vision from conception through implementation.
• Ability to work with diverse students and staff and possess excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration, problem solving, and conflict management skills.
• A Master's degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, Counseling and Guidance, Social Work, Masters in Theological Education (M.Div or M.A.), or a related field.