The SmithCo Investments Controller performs the accounting operations and supports the tax functions for all SmithCo Investments and related companies which consist of multiple commonly owned business entities and a charitable foundation (www.e3-Foundation.com). Responsibilities may include coordinating, planning, bookkeeping, and reporting on all company financial activities as well as the production of periodic financial reports and the maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company's financial results.
This position requires strong accounting, accounting and database system, computer, business acumen, and internet research skills as well as excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. The position also calls for a high level of attention to detail, and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors. It is necessary to be proactive, resourceful, flexible, and efficient while working in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment with minimal direct supervision while maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality at all times. Integrity and the ability to handle confidential information are critical.
To perform the variety of duties required to maintain the day to day finances for the various entities, to supervise all accounting and financial record keeping, and to proactively set up controls, procedures, and systems to ensure efficiency and honesty through the execution of all daily responsibilities and ongoing general responsibilities as detailed below.
- Maintain accounting records for multiple limited partnership and limited liability companies, a non-profit charitable foundation and the Smith family’s personal assets and investments.
- Perform month-end closing procedures for all entities in a timely manner.
- Maintain adequate cash flow by initiating appropriate transfers between the various investment and bank accounts.
- Prepare checks for weekly bill payment and ensure that payables are paid in a timely manner and that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable.
- Reconcile credit card expense reports in order to allocate expenses between entities.
- Prepare and process bi-monthly payroll in a timely manner.
- Assist with preparation of payroll tax deposits and federal and state tax reports.
- Prepare annual federal payroll forms for employees and contractors.
- Ensure that receivables for all entities are collected promptly.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed.
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly financial reports for all entities.
- Prepare and present financial review for quarterly e3 Foundation meetings.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain the chart of accounts for all entities.
- Maintain and proactively improve the system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Establish and update all required inventory tracking and controls systems and inventory database files.
- Manage any bookkeeping or accounting staff employees.
- Safeguard all company assets and ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines of internal audits, controls and checks across all departments.
- Ensure company accounting procedures conform to generally accepted accounting principles.
Other General Responsibilities:
- Proactively improve the accuracy and efficiency of all activities, systems, and procedures associated with managing payroll, accounts payable, mileage and expense reimbursements, cash transfers and disbursements, invoicing and billing, customer credits and collections, inventory database and inventory tracking systems integrity, fixed asset records, tax preparation, insurance coverage, and Human Resources operations.
- Maintain a personal task management system to ensure all work tasks are captured, prioritized and communicated to management.
- Attend weekly staff meetings in order to communicate status of work tasks and projects.
- Work with attorneys on Estate, Trust, Foundation, and Investment issues.
- Work with tax accountants to provide adequate reports for proper tax preparation and payments.
- Perform HR functions as needed.
- Ensure proper insurance policies are maintained / updated.
- Provide all assistance needed for any required company audits.
- Prepare financial analysis for contract negotiations and investment decisions as needed.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff and provide accounting policy orientation for new staff.
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives.
- Research issues as needed.
- Other special project work as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 7+ years’ experience at the Controller level supporting executive finance and accounting needs
- QuickBooks and QuickBooks Online experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Experience improving accounting department controls, systems, procedures, and organization
- Ability to work with and maintain highly sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to remain flexible in managing frequently shifting priorities
- Ability to make decisions on behalf of executives within predetermined parameters
- Ability to handle all matters with the utmost confidentiality
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Cheerful, flexible and positive disposition
- Resourceful and tactful with a professional demeanor
- Knowledge of Not-for-Profits and/or Foundations
- Knowledge of ranch and cattle operations
This is full time, salaried position with benefits. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Controller” in the email subject line.