This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Logistician, DR Congo (863)
Farajde, , Congo, the Democratic Republic of the
Date Posted: 10/10/2011
Categories: Management - Missions/Int.
Job Type: Full-Time
Farajde, DR Congo - The Logistician is responsible to oversee and manage logistics, staff security, and to design and implement systems for procurement, importation, and transport of commodities. When appropriate, this position will provide support for the field operations of food distribution by Samaritan’s Purse (SP) in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). In addition the Logistician serves as an accountant for the assigned project.
• Design, implement and maintain an effective system of procurement, transportation, and storage of all project, office relief, support materials and commodities
• Act as a focal point for logistical requests from the team, implementing and safeguarding the SP field procurement system
• Develop and implement reliable and appropriate processes for orderly, effective and safe distribution of relief items in the field, helping to manage the distribution
• Assist the Country Director with decision making related to field operations
• Provide support in the achievement of the objectives of the program
• Assist in maintenance and improving the project logistic systems, vehicles, radio/electrical and other equipment
• Manage and maintain the vehicle fleet, ensuring that all the vehicles are properly maintained and used within SP policy
• Ensure logistical success of project goals, including transportation and storage of communities to field locations, collation of waybills and waybill reporting
• Formally report on security and logistical status of projects and field sites to the Country Director as well as the formal briefing of the project team
• Hire and manage national logistics and security staff
• Manage strategic relationships with customs clearance, airport authorizes, NGO and military logistical personnel where applicable, merchants and other significant individuals
• Maintain careful records of all compound inventoried items, noting their movement and status
• Assist in the procurement of needed supplies, including construction materials, base supplies, materials to support programs, and supplies needed for ministry
• Keep careful records of consumption, and submit supply orders to stock both food and other supplies for compound staff programs
• Keep records of all base storerooms, inventorying and distributing donations as they become available
• Supervise national employees and provide motivation, guidance and expertise when carrying out assigned tasks
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience managing logistics and/or procurement systems
• Previous experience working with Food Assistance and/or Agricultural programs and/or community-based programming in Africa
• Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
• Ability to cope with stress and live in basic conditions; flexibility and patience
• Strong verbal and written communication in English required; bilingual, French preferred
• Ability to network and build relationships with government, civil society, and community partners.
12 month contract with potential for renewal