Honduras - The Field Accountant is responsible for administrative field accounting, expenditures, bookkeeping and payroll related to a specific program(s), projects and/or region in Honduras as assigned by the Country Director.
• Maintain detailed records for all financial transactions in an organized and professional manner.
• Ensure financial/accounting activity is carried out in accordance with SP’s field accounting policies and perform other duties as assigned
• Perform daily functions including recording all cash, check and bank transfer transactions, maintain cash and bank ledgers, monitor cash advances and field expense reports, reconcile cash on hand and monthly bank reconciliation
• Provide required monthly financial reports by specified deadlines to the Country Director and IHQ as assigned
*All reports to IHQ in English
*Monthly reports to IHQ (normally 4th business day of month)
*Monthly requests for funds to IHQ (normally by the 14th of the month)
*Assist with budget preparation and regular review
*Bank and cash reconciliations including electronic portions
*Process grant forms and reports as required by IHQ office and/or grantor
• Remain up-to-date on all Honduran accounting laws pertaining NGOs and complete all local government reports and filings as required in the country
• Review and approve financial transactions for SP filed operations based in the region as appropriate (includes vouchers, FERs, Cash Advances, transfers, etc
*Must follow SP accounting policies
*Ensure all cash is reconciled on a weekly basis, reporting any over/under to Country Director and investigate any over/under situations
*Administer all cash advances to employees and partners, reconciling all receipts and remaining cash at month’s end
• Ensure adequate cash flow for operations and safety of financial resources at base
• Maintain professional working relationships with fellow financial staff, Program Managers and the Country Director.
• Work with and provide assistance to IHQ Finance Manager as required – this is normally done in English and will include normal communications in English, both written and verbal
• Provide support to Base Manager and/or Program Managers with regard to financial policies/practices and related areas as required. This includes training on complance with local regulations and SP policies.
• Manage financial portion of contracts for labor, services and services provided, including rental properties, facilities, and vehicles.
• Identify areas for financial and administrative improvement and work with the Country Director.
• Maintain accuracy in financial records and perform other duties as assigned
• US Bachelor’s degree or international equivalent in related field with a minimum of 4 years bookkeeping or accounting experience
• Strong relational skills and financial management experience preferred
• Experience with foreign currencies and grants management preferred
• Proven management experience
• Fully bilingual in English and Spanish with ability to communicate verbally and in writing and interact well with people of different educational, linguistic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
• Proficiency with software and intuitive ability in learning new computer programs (Microsoft Office Suite; in particular, Excel, is required)
• People management and delegation abilities
• Must be able to travel to the US for taining and planning which requires a US Visa or Passport.
• Take part in international audits and local audits including any required or suggested forms of assurance of honesty in job performance
Length of contract: 12 months
Open until filledUse these Links to learn more about the position for the Field Accountant, Honduras (926) and to fill out an Online Application.