This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Technology
Austin, Texas, United States
Date Posted: 09/05/2011
Categories: IT - Telecommunications
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Description for Technology Director
The e3 Foundation is seeking a Technology Director with a demonstrated ability to ensure the successful execution of e3’s mission through the development and deployment of multiple complex websites and related technology and infrastructure. This requires leading the design, implementation, and integration of advanced web applications and wearing multiple hats, such as developer, engineer, and system administrator. The position is based in Austin, Texas.
The e3 Foundation is a non-profit foundation committed to leveraging technology and media to advance the kingdom around the globe. Founder Dan Smith, former owner of CreditCards.com, manages the foundation and is the visionary behind the projects of e3. The Technology Director will play a vital role in planning, organizing, and executing projects that turn vision into reality. For more information about the e3 Foundation, please go the website, www.e3-Foundation.com.
Roles & Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
• In partnership with e3’s senior management team, identify opportunities for innovation and overcome technical hurdles to the organization’s success.
• Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the initiative.
• Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack)
• Lead strategic planning to achieve e3’s goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based applications and functionality.
• Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately, and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, and telecommunications.
• Establish a governance process for user information privacy.
• Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of e3’s data and servers.
• Communicate the company’s technology strategy to management, staff, partners, and stakeholders.
Implementation & Deployment
• Select and set up a software revision control system and repository.
• Select and set up web-based internal communications systems, such as a wiki, blog, chat room, project management, and bug tracking systems.
• Consult with the Creative Director, User Experience Architect, and Content Director to prepare wireframes or mockups of a prototype of the website.
• Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement a design as web pages using CSS and XHTML conforming to web standards.
• Select or define the company’s software development methodology.
• Promulgate coding conventions and documentation standards.
• Select, customize, and/or develop a Content Management System that meets the project specifications.
• Review current best practices for the selected web framework and establish the initial architecture for the application.
• Select and manage company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement the application.
• Establish and supervise the software development process, setting short-term objectives and assessing progress as defined by the selected software development methodology.
• Conduct code reviews and specification conformance testing as defined by the selected software development methodology.
• Establish and supervise a quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
• Select, deploy, and monitor performance analytics and procedures.
• Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
• Evaluate and select web application hosting providers.
• Establish a website deployment process and supervise deployment to staging and production servers.
• Monitor site performance and review any site failures in staging or production.
• Establish and monitor a web analytics regime that measures site traffic and site usage relative to business goals.
• Support the marketing process by providing implementation of technical requirements for Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
• Work with partners to integrate technology and test and monitor functionality and integration.
• Establish a process to improve website usability.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
• Define and communicate organization values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software.
• Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
• Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s management, staff, partners, and stakeholders with regard to e3’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
• Ensure technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
• Develop, track, and control the development and deployment of annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
• Supervise recruitment, training, retention, and organization of all development staff.
• Establish standards of performance and monitor conformance for staff (through performance review) and vendors (through service level agreements).
• Ensure all technological processes comply with applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility.
The ideal candidate will possess the following characteristics:
• 7 years experience managing web application development.
• 3 years experience with startup companies.
• Hands-on experience coding in more than one currently popular web application framework.
• Familiarity with more than one software development methodology.
• Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
• Knowledge of web standards.
• Experience with UNIX system administration and web server configuration.
• Knowledge of Internet protocols and database management systems.
• Familiarity with technical requirements of Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
• Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
• Familiarity with consumer privacy compliance requirements.
• Exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
• Familiarity with language translation via the internet.
• Proven leadership ability.
• Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
• Exceptional service orientation.
• Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• University degree in the field of computer science, business administration, or another rigorous discipline. An advanced degree in one these fields is preferred.
This is full-time, salaried position with benefits. To apply, please contact James Rinn at email@example.com. Please include the position in the subject line of the email: “Technology Director”.