This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
commercial waste and recycling
Oakland, California, United States
Date Posted: 08/19/2011
Categories: Accounting - Administrative
Job Type: Full-Time
Growing family owned business looking for an assistant controller with a strong systems orientation. This is an incredible opportunity for a qualified candidate to get in on the ground floor of a growing company in the commercial waste and recycling industry. The main responsibilities of the position are general bookkeeping, data input, financial analysis, month end and year end, reporting, and to provide sound financial leadership. We have grown significantly over the past two years in our Oakland location and have plans for new locations within the next five years.
The ideal candidate will be an individual with high ethical standards, strong business experience and a desire to be involved with almost all facets of this dynamic young company. Qualifications include: 5-7 years of accounting experience, strong written and verbal communication skills, the ability to work independently, and a desire to be a leader in the organization. Computer networking experience and database management puts you ahead of the other candidates.
We offer a competitive salary with opportunity for growth into management and/or operations.
This position is primarily an office job, however, requires interaction and leadership with employees, vendors, and customers. The small size offers unlimited potential for business exposure, training and increased responsibility. Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistant Controller Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Commercial Waste and Control, LLC.’s success by executing the financial and administrative functions of the company. This position is responsible for the execution of daily accounting processes, business communications, scheduling and systems maintenance. This position is at the hub of the organization as it supports the operations of the business. Additionally, this position participates in developing strategy and roadmap for new applications, business development and overall company efficiency.
This is a family business that is focused on a culture of strong business ethics and a set of guiding principles. This position models and acts in accordance with our guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Sets goals, develops organizational capability, relates system solutions to broader organization strategies and objectives, and models how we work together.
• Makes effective staffing decisions, taking into account resource demand, team skill sets and budget constraints.
• Develops multi-year and annual goals, objectives and budgets for implementation, sustainment and support within the designated business areas.
May manage budget for assigned areas.
• Plans and executes the daily bookkeeping and data management of the business. This encompasses all accounting areas including financial accounting, reporting, taxes, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
• Ensures alignment with company business and technology goals and strategic roadmaps.
• Collaborates with business and IT partners to plan, prioritize and resource initiatives.
• Runs the office in the owner’s absence.
• Identifies trends and gaps with existing systems and processes. Identifies opportunities and proposes projects to improve systems, processes and infrastructure.
• Oversees system training documentation to ensure continued and correct use of the application and roll out of new tools and procedures.
• Oversees resolution of day-to-day operations issues to ensure user, business and production requirements are met. Ensure communications and documentation of status, root cause and resolutions are provided.
• Oversees testing of new system functionality and quality assurance for all systems fixes, enhancements, changes and implementations.
• Ensures support documentation is created, updated and used as intended to assist with production trouble-shooting and resolution.
• Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
Qualifications Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA a plus • 5-7 years accounting, treasury and finance experience required. • Networking and database management skills preferred. • Analytical and problem-solving in a lean organization. • Team and project management experience, including the ability to build and lead
cross-functional teams. • Significant experience with budgeting and forecasting • Must have strong people and communication skills • Management experience is a plus • Great problem solving and analytical skills • Significant G/L and consolidation experience • Understanding of best practice and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
(GAAP). • Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment • Advanced Quickbook skills • Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Applications such as Word and Excel • Ability to understand, analyze and develop operational processes and procedures • Ability to use business knowledge, sound judgment, and resourcefulness to adapt
existing policies to specific situations and select among varied courses of action.
Puts the Customer First: Has a relentless focus on the customer. Understands what the customer wants and how to best deliver the experience.
Works Well with Others: Listens and communicates well with others within and outside of the company. Creates a team environment that is positive and productive.
Leads Courageously: Takes personal responsibility to do the right thing, and persists in times of challenge or uncertainty. Adapts quickly to change and makes timely, thoughtful decisions.
Develops Continuously: Continuously seek opportunities to improve self and others. Leads with trust, honesty and commitment to hire, coach and develop employees to achieve their potential.
Achieves Results: Understands what drives overall business success and is accountable to prioritize and deliver quality results. Demonstrates knowledge of core products and processes to get results. Anticipates obstacles and takes action to prevent or minimize their impact.