Liberia was founded on noble principles as a 19th-century refuge for freed American slaves. It is one of the few countries never colonized in Africa. Its name means “Land of the Free.”
In recent decades, however, Liberia has been wracked by war, terror, and corruption. A military-led coup in 1980 was followed by civil wars in 1989 and 1999. Hundreds of thousands were killed and the economy was devastated during the years of violence.
Peace was finally restored, but the nation has been ravaged. Unemployment runs as high as 85 percent, and less than 40 percent of the adults are literate. People are searching for hope.
“This country was literally devastated from one end to the other,” said Samaritan’s Purse President Franklin Graham during a visit to the West African nation to oversee the relief and evangelism work. Join us in our work in Liberia! There is an employment opportunity for a Program Development Officer to work with our team in Monrovia, Liberia.
The Program Development Office will serve as a liaison between Samaritan’s Purse and Government/Non-Government authorities for collaborative programming on behalf of Samaritan’s Purse. Incumbent will write concept papers, proposals and project summaries and work with the Country Director, Program Managers, and Finance Officer to develop proposal budgets.
• Liaison between SP and Governmental/Non Governmental authorities for collaborative programming on behalf of Samaritan’s Purse.
• Monitor and be aware of upcoming agency “calls for proposals” and proactively inform the Country Directors and Regional Director of upcoming opportunities.
• Write concept papers, proposals, and project summaries in support of the Country Director.
• Work with the Country Director, Program Managers, and Finance Officer to develop proposal budgets.
• Monitor and evaluate the implementation of quarterly program activities
• Coordinate assessments and conduct field visits in order to collect and verify data.
• Analyze data and background materials in order to provide guidance and support to Program Managers and key decision makers.
• Maintain base line data of social indicators and digital library.
• Research and propose best practices in development programs and NGO operations.
• Oversee updates of SP database that captures project details and geographical coverage of activities.
• Provide surge capacity and assume additional responsibilities in the event of a natural disaster or crisis.
• Assist the CD with various program activities as needed and when not directly engaged in Program Development activities.
• Assist the Country Director with strategic planning and the implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of newly funded programs.
• Keep the Regional Director and Country Director informed of project status, information, needs, and concerns. Provide and maintain a monthly project tracking and status report on all assigned programs, projects, and initiatives.
• Experience working for humanitarian organizations will be an advantage.
• Strong skills in analytical and strategic thinking.
• Proven experience in database development and management.
• Good quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills.
• Good communication skills.
• Ability to develop and carry out work plans and solve problems independently
• Strong writing and presentation skills
• Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment.
• Excellent knowledge of computer applications, in particular proficiency required in MS Word, MS Excel and Power Point
• Bachelor's degree (BA) from four-year College or university; or three to five years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Length of contract: 12 months
Open until filled
Target date to the field: July 2011
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Administrative Assistant to Dean's SuiteTrinity Law School
- Deerfield, California
- October 13
Customer ServiceBayville Chemicals.net
- Deer Park, New York
- October 11
Administrative AssistantCanyonville Christian Academy
- Canyonville, Oregon
- October 10
Assistant Office ManagerThe Mailbox Club
- Valdosta, Georgia
- October 10
Assistant Technical Services ManagerThe Mailbox Club
- Valdosta, Georgia
- October 10
The story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37) gives a clear picture of God's desire for us to help those in desperate need wherever we find them. After describing how the Samaritan rescued a hurting man whom others had passed by, Jesus told His hearers, "Go and do likewise." Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disa More...