This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Construction Crew Leader
Japan, Japan, Japan
Date Posted: 06/23/2011
Categories: Contractor & Other Trades - Missions/Int.
Job Type: Full-Time
“One of the communities we are working in lost 70 percent of its physical structure. In another community, the University of Tokyo measured the height of the tsunami at 37.9 meters, which is about the same as a 12-story building.” Samaritan’s Purse responded and continues to respond to the needs of the Japanese people affected by the tsunami that struck the island country on March 11, 2011. Our team in Japan is undertaking a construction project to rebuild homes. To accomplish this there is need for Construction Crew Leaders to oversee and direct assigned construction crews; to ensure adequate supplies and manpower are in place as well as leading the work crew to accomplish the assigned project. The employee must be a skilled builder and will be involved in directing both skilled and non-skilled volunteers as well as local staff in all levels of the construction project as well as being knowledgeable in all aspects of construction.
• Work jointly with the Area Construction Program Manager to rebuild homes affected by the tsunami.
• Lead on-site construction crew, being present at all times; assist team members to educate and oversee their work and assure they understand their role and are fully equipped to work efficiently and help lead the construction teams
• Provide safety training and general project training for team members at the job site and assures all work is done with safe manner and provide hands-on training for volunteers
• Maintain security of all materials and equipment at job sites
• Inspect all jobs, ensuring all work is in accordance with local laws and codes
• Communicate and minister to volunteers and partners, keeping them informed of the team's work and projected needs
• Review and update the Area Construction Program Manager on project progress and current and developing needs
• Complete and submit reports for any injuries occurring at the job sites
• Follow policies and procedures of Samaritan’s Purse as set forth in the Policy and Procedure Manual.
• Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers
• Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public
• Be sensitive to local Japanese customs and culture as well as and building practices
• Work through a translator to direct crew activities when needed
Directly supervise 4-10 crew members on a daily basis. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training crew members; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems and assuring quality control of the construction project which they are assigned.
• One year related certificate from college or technical school; and three or more years related construction/contractor experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must be familiar with all aspects of residential home construction. Experienced in job site leadership of both experienced and non-experienced workers. Ability to assess needs for building and materials.
• Respects and able to work with skilled workers having strong opinions
• Able to develop good relationships with homeowners and other locals
• Able to provide tactful and effective corrective directives and advice
• Able to resolve conflicts, often with tired workers
• Has respect, patience, and genuinely values unskilled workers
• Respects the positions and responsibilities of SP co-workers
• Understands, embraces and promotes the value of team work
• Possesses a personal ethic and displays an attitude striving for excellence
• Able to maintain high level quality workmanship with given resources; Is unrelenting about high quality but not encumbered with perfectionism; able to effectively convey this standard to others when dealing with others
Length of contract: 6-12 months
Open until filled
Target date to the field: June-August 2011
TO APPLY: Go to www.samaritanspurse.org. Under "Who We Are" choose "Employment Listings", then click on "International Positions." Please complete the on-line application and attach a cover letter and resume.
Samaritan's Purse is a non-denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. For over 40 years, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. If you are searching for a career with impact come see how we serve!