Japan’s northeastern coast was struck by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake followed by a giant tsunami on March 11. Huge waves engulfed towns and villages, sweeping away houses, cars, boats, and trains. Samaritan’s Purse quickly responded… and is continuing the response with construction projects. Our team in Japan is in need of Area Construction Managers who will work in an assigned region/area to oversee the rebuilding and construction of homes. Responsibilities include the supervision of both expatriate and local staff, and volunteers. Incumbent will coordinate and partner with churches, local governments, and other relief agencies.
• Oversee all region/area construction activities, adapting plans quickly to changing conditions as necessary. Includes all support functions related to program
• Oversee financial transactions; prepare daily/monthly report of activities; hold regular weekly staff meetings
• Oversee all aspects of construction and other work done by SP employees and independent sub-contractors (electrical, plumbing, drywall, HVAC, etc.)
• Oversee life cycle of all projects in the area from identifying the individual projects to the completion of the work
• Oversee national staff HR for the area/region, includes hiring, required paperwork, payroll, employee relations in compliance with local and national labor laws
• Supervise multiple crews on separate project sites as well as the assessment/ and inspection schedule within the area/ region
• Manage beneficiary relationships in the region, to include making recommendations for selection to the Construction DCD to ensuring adequate follow up with beneficiaries
• Prepare weekly project update reports to and submit to Construction DCD as well as Complete project projections for area/region
• Ensure that construction material projections are completed and materials are avaible to keep project declined
• Ensure that food and lodging is provided for staff and volunteers
• Understand and ensure adherence to all safety policies and perform safety training for all staff
• Communicate and minister to the beneficiaries, keeping them informed of the team's work
• Work with local churches to ensure follow-up with homeowners and program continuation after Samaritan's Purse has completed their project
• Handle conflict resolution and performance issues as necessary with staff, volunteer teams, homeowners, churches, or other agencies
• Follow policies and procedures of Samaritan’s Purse as set forth in the Policy and Procedure Manual
• Responsible for spiritual care of staff. Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers
• Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
• The Area Construction Manager will manage up to 50+ subordinates including the Construction Crew Leads, Assistant Program Manager, Field Accountant, and General Laborers, Home Assessor/Inspector-Quality Control, Interpreters, and volunteers.
• Is also responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units to carry out supervisory accountabilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable local laws. Will conduct interviews to hire local staff and provide subsequent training of local employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
• One year related certificate from college or technical school; and 6 or more years related construction/contractor experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be familiar with all aspects of residential home construction. Experienced in job site leadership of both experienced and non-experienced workers. Ability to assess needs for building and materials.
• Respects and able to work with skilled workers having strong opinions
• Able to develop good relationships with homeowners and other locals
• Conflict resolution skills and able to provide tactful and effective corrective directives and advice
• Has respect, patience, and genuinely values unskilled workers
• Able to maintain high level quality workmanship with given resources; unrelenting about high quality but not encumbered with perfectionism; able to effectively convey this standard to others and applies this ethic to self when dealing with others
Length of contract: 6-12 months
Open until filled
Target date to the field: June-August 2011
TO APPLY: Go to www.samaritanspurse.org. Under "Who We Are" choose "Employment Listings", then click on "International Positions." Please complete the on-line application and attach a cover letter and resume.
Samaritan's Purse is a non-denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. For over 40 years, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. If you are searching for a career with impact come see how we serve!
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Overseas University English TeachersAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- October 7
Overseas Western Chef & Dinning Facility EducatorAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- October 6
Overseas University Teacher for UNIV 103Academics In Asia
- China, Not Assigned
- October 6
Digital MarketerCRISTA Ministries
- Seattle, Washington
- October 4
Elementary School Teachers in China - Still Interviewing!Academics In Asia
- China, Not Assigned
- July 4
The story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37) gives a clear picture of God's desire for us to help those in desperate need wherever we find them. After describing how the Samaritan rescued a hurting man whom others had passed by, Jesus told His hearers, "Go and do likewise." Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disa More...