This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Ashburn Presbyterian Church
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 06/02/2011
Job Type: Full-Time
Title: Church Office Manager (Ashburn, VA)
Location: Ashburn Presbyterian Church
20962 Ashburn Road
Ashburn, VA 20147
Description: This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position to serve as the church Office Manager providing administrative support to the church office, Session ministries, Senior Pastor and other staff members.
The Office Manager reports to the Senior Pastor as head of the staff. The Office Manager represents the church; therefore, it is critical that this individual be mature in his/her Christian faith.
The position requires an absolute commitment to confidentiality and respect for the privacy of others. The Office Manager will directly and indirectly come in contact with sensitive and confidential information, and it is expected that the information will be directed to right person and no one else.
The position also requires an individual who will treat church members and visitors with respect and compassion at all times. Further, this position must maintain a positive and professional attitude while supporting staff, ministry teams and members – and doing so in a team building manner.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Free parking on site is available.
Send a cover letter and resume to Katie Oakes and David Dedman, Co-Elders, Personnel Ministry:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communication and follow up skills.
- Positive and cooperative attitude.
- Skilled in project management and problem resolution.
- Willingness to accept new projects.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Publisher, Excel, email, etc.
- Skilled in creative brochure/flyer design and image research.
- Basic bookkeeping knowledge.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks desired, but basic training is available.
- Conscientiousness and attention to detail.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Flexibility with hours and tasks assigned.
- Familiarity and experience with church operations.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
- High level of sensitivity, understanding and confidentiality.
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times, supporting staff, ministry teams and members, and doing so in a team building manner.
- Answer the church phone and retrieve messages from voicemail.
- Ensure church voicemail outbound message is updated as appropriate.
- Greet all visitors to the church office and provide directions and or information regarding church worship times or activities.
- Open and distribute mail; retrieve and deliver mail to and from the post office as needed.
Provide administrative assistance to Senior Pastor as directed.
- Provide administrative assistance to Session and Ministry Chairs as appropriate and based on agreed upon timelines.
- Cooperate with Session on special projects.
- Provide administrative assistance to other staff members as appropriate and based on agreed upon timelines.
- Ensure prayer requests are distributed to the appropriate individuals, and facilitate requests for pastoral care as appropriate.
- Support the Administration and Buildings and Grounds Ministries in monitoring office equipment and serving as the onsite point of contact for vendors and contractors.
- Maintain the church office calendar and work with Buildings and Grounds Ministry on individual requests for facility use.
- Handle all aspects of Accounts Payable using QuickBooks. Includes writing checks (under $500), contact with vendors and filing.
- Maintain database of worship service visitors. Send welcome letters, etc. Provide Evangelism ministry with 1st time visitors names and addresses.
- Maintain attendance sheets for Sunday worship.
- Work with database team to ensure information entered into Community Church Builder by the Office Manager is consistent with overall Administration and Evangelism ministry direction.
- Coordinate with staff at weekly Staff meeting.
- Review Sunday Bulletin with staff at weekly Bulletin meeting ensuring the information included is accurate.
- Prepare, copy and fold the weekly church bulletins. Ensure announcements are prepared, work with staff and members on Sunday AV requirements and communicate AV needs with AV team. Ensure staff has final copies of announcements, bulletins and other agreed upon instructions for Sunday.
- Prepare Session meeting docket packets.
- Organize, format and copy the Annual Reports of the Session ministries for the Annual Congregational Meeting.
- Coordinate logistics of Annual Session Retreat as directed by Session and Senior Pastor.
- Proactively facilitate overall ministry team tasks that need to be completed for Christmas and Easter by documenting well in advance all that needs to be done by each team. Facilitate kick-off meeting with ministry teams and staff to review tasks and provide periodic status updates to all involved.
- Assist Clerk of Session by keeping records of weddings, baptisms and deaths – and assisting with letters of transfer.
- Direct and oversee printing, addressing, collating and mailing of correspondence to congregation as needed; work with volunteers to coordinate larger mailings if needed.
- Maintain updated Training Manual for the Office Manager position at all times.
- Organize and prepare updated copy of the Church Directory.
- Order office supplies and prepare postage. Keep office supply cabinet and copy machine room in neat and orderly condition.
- Seek and oversee office substitutes if needed.
- Train all substitutes (volunteer and other) filling in for the Office Manager as appropriate prior to date of substitution and ensure “hand-off” of responsibilities with substitute is communicated well.
- Prepare brochures, flyers, etc upon request.
- Assist with VBS administrative details.
- Prepare APC 101 notebooks and assist Evangelism Ministry with other preparations as needed (i.e., maintaining attendee lists and other set up needs to include AV).
- Set up meetings for Senior Pastor and individuals/families interested in baptisms, and prepare certificates for baptisms. Ensure other items needed for the meeting are given to Senior Pastor.
- Ensure meeting space is set up for Officer Training to include AV requirements and refreshments.
- Provide support to Celebration Preschool as time permits.
Expected Hours/Work Schedule:
8 hours per day x 5 days a week – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
(Saturday and Sunday off)
It is understood that there is a standard 1 hour paid lunch within the work day. In order to ensure office coverage in the mornings and afternoons, lunch should be taken between the hours of 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm. The office needs to be covered between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm and from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
On occasion, additional hours may be required for church events (i.e., Christmas Eve, church ministry meetings and funerals). Compensation for these occasional additional hours falls within the annual salary.
Absences and Substitutes:
Absences for vacation and sick time need to be covered by a substitute. Regarding personal appointments, time taken for the lunch hour can be used for personal appointments. If the Office Manager needs to be away from the office for personal appointments before 12:00 pm or after 2:00 pm, the office should be covered by a substitute.
Time away from the office for vacation and sick time should be deducted from the allowable time. Time away from the office for personal appointments over an hour and a half should be deducted from vacation time. The Office Manager will be responsible for tracking his/her hours, time taken for vacation, sick time and personal appointments and report this activity to the Senior Pastor and Personnel Ministry on a monthly basis.
The Office Manager will be responsible for recruiting a pool of substitutes ahead of time and training them appropriately on the office functions.
The Office Manager will provide the Senior Pastor with a weekly schedule listing any planned absences and substitutes covering the office.