Deputy Country Director
Phnom Penh, Cambodia - The Deputy Country Director (DCD) is responsible for supporting the Country Director (CD) in activities that promote the success of field programs and staff development. These activities may include the management of government and donor relations, program design, program implementation and evaluation, management of grants and budgets and support to field staff.
The DCD will be based in the Country Office (Phnom Penh), but will spend at least 40% of their time in the field.
• Oversee and manage all sub office functions including but not limited to supervising the base managers, sub office finances, sub office employees and sub office logistics which includes fuel management, fleet management, warehousing and security.
• Periodically visit Samaritan’s Purse (SP) field sites and sub offices to provide field staff support, address challenges and explore potential program possibilities.
• Serve as the focal point for program development and work in conjunction with the Country Director in proactively developing new programming that will achieve the vision and objectives of Samaritan’s Purse Cambodia and evaluate all existing and potential programs for their compliance to this strategy and vision.
• Assist Program Managers in identifying potential needs, writing proposals and projects budgets for submission to CD.
• Ensure that all technical areas of the various projects are integrated and making the most effective and efficient use of all project resources.
• Offer oversight to Project Managers to ensure that monitoring and evaluation of projects is conducted in accordance with organizational policies and procedures and ensure that M&E is included in the work plans of projects.
• Increase the spiritual development of staff and ensure projects maintain their ministry focus and effectiveness.
• Coordinate the collation of monthly and quarterly field reports from Program Managers and ensure reporting to IHQ, affiliate offices and grantors.
• Oversee and manage Samaritan’s Purse Partner programs including the submission of reports to affiliate offices.
• Monitor program effectiveness and financial accountability, evaluating ongoing and new activities.
• Work closely with the Finance Manager to develop and monitor appropriate/adequate budgets to support technical activities.
• Work with the Disaster Relief Coordinator and monitor potential and present emergencies and keep CD informed of events, including crisis response options and opportunities
• Act as the field host for all visiting teams, groups or persons. Communicate, plan and set itineraries and organize logistics for these visitors.
• Assist the CD and Administration Manager in implementing and training field staff on SP policy and ensure compliance to corporate / national guidelines.
• Oversee and manage the internship program in the Samaritan’s Purse Cambodia office.
• Provide professional representation and relationship building for SP with government officials, dignitaries, other NGOs and visitors as requested,
• In the absence of the CD, serve as interim CD.
• Other duties deemed necessary by the CD.
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) in Management and/or Community Development (preferred); or a minimum of 3 to 5 years’ related international work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Excellent planning and organizational skills
• Experience in project management including proposal writing, program development and implementation
• Works well in a diverse team and a pressured environment
• Flexibility and adaptability
• Cheerful, diplomatic, encourager, concern for the spiritual well-being of the team
• Spiritual maturity; Ability to keep the focus of work on the overall goal of sharing the gospel
• Ability to communicate and interact well with people of different ethnic, linguistic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
• Ability to travel to field sites to monitor projects
• Proven management, leadership & team-building experience
• Clear understanding of the workings of major donors and their perspectives, requirements and standards
• Strong relational skills and financial management experience preferred
• Experience living and working in Asian cultures preferred
• Ability to speak Cambodian or Khmer preferred or the willingness to learn
Length of contract: 24 months
Target date to the field: March 2011
Open until filledUse these Links to learn more about the position for the Deputy Country Director 591 and to complete an Online Application