This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
High School Principal- Nassau, Bahamas
Nassau, Nassau, Bahamas, Bahamas
Date Posted: 01/24/2011
Job Type: Full-Time
Senior Principal of Private High School - Nassau, Bahamas
Kingsway Academy, a leading (K-12) Christian school located in Nassau, The Bahamas with a reputation for excellence in academics, athletics and the arts; a commitment to Christian values; and a strong tradition of public service, is searching for an extraordinary and innovative leader for the position of Senior High School Principal.
The Principal serves as the educational leader with a strong vision for Christ-centred education. The Principal is responsible for establishing high standards of academic excellence, dynamic student life that supports self-discipline and character development, sound professional learning for faculty and promoting good morale among faculty, parents and students in an atmosphere of vibrant faith in Christ.
Education, Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
• A Bachelor’s Degree required; a Masters Degree is preferred and professional teaching qualifications from an approved institution is a plus,
• A minimum of ten years successful teaching experience.
• Training in administration and supervision is essential for this role (training in business would be an advantage) or
• A minimum of five years experience as a successful high school principal or vice principal with evidence of transformational results and demonstrated success in driving high performance teams and raising student achievement.
• Knowledge and aptitude in areas of school improvement, curriculum design, college and career readiness and extra-curricular programmes that cultivate school pride and civic duty.
• Strong knowledge of AP programmes, SAT and PSAT preparation and tests.
• Experience building effective teams with exceptional coaching skills
• Possess excellent leadership, strong organizational, oral and written communication skills and the ability to motivate staff and students;
• Born-again Christian.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Assume and demonstrate professional and administrative leadership of the school with particular emphasis on sound pedagogy and supervision of staff and students activities
• Fulfill the vision of the school board (Committee of Management – C.O.M.) through the implementation and management of policies to ensure a safe, healthy, child-centered and productive learning environment
• Work with the C.O.M., teachers and parents to maintain effective school- community relationships;
Specific duties include:
• Leading in the development, implementation and evaluation of all school programs and activities by involving faculty, curriculum specialists, other resource personnel, parents, and students;
• Organizing effective scheduling, supervising instructional programs and evaluation procedures of the school to ensure that they address student’ needs, interests and skill levels;
• Supporting the instructional programmes and Christian emphasis of the school by designing co- and extra-curricular activities and service opportunities using community resources;
• Providing and supervising an effective discipline system;
• Communicating with the C.O.M. on a frequent basis relative to all needs, successes and general operation of the school;
• Establishing and promoting high standards and expectations for all staff and students in academic performance and responsible behavior;
• Overseeing the management of all resources of the institution, including buildings, grounds, equipment, and supplies by developing maintenance programs and conserving resources;
• Identifying current and future educational requirements by establishing personal rapport with educators, parents, students, and other persons in a position to understand educational requirements; surveying operational and educational conditions; recommending and taking actions;
• Contributing to the school's strategic direction by identifying short-term and long-range issues that must be addressed; collecting data; providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; presenting information to the C.O.M and at public hearings; recommending options and courses of action; implementing directives;
• Preparing reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends;
• Achieving school's financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions;
• Hiring, developing and retaining high-calibre staff who are committed to the mission of the school by orienting, coaching, counseling, monitoring, appraising job results and rewarding and disciplining teachers and support staff;
• Developing teachers and support staff by providing information, educational opportunities, and experiential growth opportunities;
• Protecting teachers and students by maintaining a safe educational environment; developing and enforcing rules of conduct.
• Resolving teacher/parent/student conflicts by collecting and analyzing information; mediating or arbitrating discussions;
• Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies;
• Contributes to the school’s team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.