This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Seasonal Chef ( Scott River Lodge)
Etna, California, United States
Date Posted: 12/15/2010
Categories: Food Services - Hospitality
Job Type: Full-Time
POSITION: SEASONAL CHEF (SCOTT RIVER LODGE)
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE CHEF-SECOND WIND PROGRAMS
EXECUTIVE SOUS CHEF-SECOND WIND PROGRAMS
DATES: APRIL 17-AUGUST 17, 2011
SALARY: DOE + HOUSING
NON BENEFIT ELIGIBLE POSITION
Seasonal Chef to direct daily Food/Beveage operations for Scott River Lodge in Fort Jones, CA..
Will work in coordination with sister property JH Guest Ranch with the Food Services and
Programs Departments on a daily basis. Chef will be responsible for the planning and preparation
of satisfying, creative, eye appealing, and nutritional menus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Plan menus in conjunction with Executive Chef (Second Wind Programs) taking into
consideration guest needs, staffing, financial and a variety of other factors.
• Develop recipes and techniques for food preparation and management, which help
assure consistently high quality and portion control.
• Establish controls and monitor kitchen activities to minimize waste/loss of product.
• Cook or directly supervise the cooking of all items which require skillful preparation.
• Have the ability and desire to supervise college age volunteer staff.
• Work directly with Guest Services Manager, Staff Deans in the scheduling and
coordination of all assigned to kitchen.
• Manage staff activities for kitchen members including but not limited to performance,
training, evaluations, and reassignment as necessary, work and communicate with
Guest Services Manager and Staff Deans on any issues which arise.
• Train, develop and encourage staff and volunteers giving them a sense of ownership
and accountability. Create an atmosphere of joy, encouragement, and caring.
• Working understanding of latest Culinary trends.
• Plan and manage staff meals in coordination with JH Ranch.
• Coordinate with Guest Services Manager, facilitators, Program Personnel as to location,
counts, times of all food and beverage services, be prepared for last minute potential
changes based upon Guest and Program needs.
• Ensure all table service properly prepared for all meal service including all areas,
(ie, outdoor kitchen, barn, beaches, main lodge decks, dining hall, bar deck etc)
• Ensure all meals are served in a timely manner to include starting service times,
speed of service and clean-up of all meals.
• Guests, Staff, VIP's enter kitchen on a regular basis, you must be able to work with
these distractions and remain hospitable at ALL times while continuing to perform
• Maintain a clean and efficient kitchen, outdoor kitchen, and all dining areas by
meeting and exceeding health department standards, oversee all clean-up of servicewares,
maintenance and cleaning of equipment, track all inventory, order all food/beverages
and supplies, maintain vendor relations.
• Train kitchen staff regarding safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
• Work with Guest Services Manager prior to events regarding special dietary needs.
• Clear understanding of budgets pertaining to Food/Beverage Costs, proper records
keeping as required by Second Wind Programs, to include review of weekly expenses,
invoices, receipts, paid staff time sheets and other administrative responsibilites as
directed by Executive Chef.
• Ability to lift, carry boxes up to 50# up and down stairs and in and out of storage.
• Ability to self-manage, be proactive, creative, energetic and multi-task.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills, recognition of how your position
supports the Goals and Mission of Second Wind Programs.
• Ensure code of conduct principles of Second Wind Programs are adhered to in all
areas of Food Services by all Staff at all times.
• Must display a sincere love for Jesus and a working commitment to him
in every area of life.
• Employee for this position must be willing to work irregular and extended hours as
needed. Must be willing to be on-call as needs arise and live on-site for the convenience
of Second Wind Programs in order to respond to emergency or special needs.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Chef.
• 3-5 years of progressively responsible positions as Chef, Executive Sous Chef,
Chef de Cuisine, Executive Chef or Kitchen Manager with emphasis on Northwest
Cuisine and multi-faceted food service operations.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple
tasks, on-site locations, schedule changes, work flexible hours as required by
• Must have or obtain within 30 days of hire Serv Safe Certification.
• Verifiable references to include former supervisors.
• Must be willing to follow all Second Wind Programs Code of Conduct policies and
Statement of Faith.