This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 11/10/2010
Categories: Fundraising - Social Services
Job Type: Full-Time
Hamlin Fistula USA
This leading maternal health organisation located in Eastern Africa is both internationally renowned and highly respected. Founded over thirty years ago by Australian missionaries, it specialises in treating destitute women who suffer from specific obstetric injuries which if untreated, mark the end of any quality of life for the sufferer. This significant organisation relies entirely on donations from overseas to fund its work. It operates a number of medical treatment centres and is now treating more than 3000 women each year. It has also established an educational and training facility to aid in prevention of these injuries and the first graduates are currently being deployed into the countryside to help women in labour and to assist women who are at risk to access medical help before their labour begins. It is estimated that there are over 8,000 new cases of this specific obstetric injury in the host country alone and that there may be 2 million women who suffer this tragic injury across the developing world.
A strong Christian evangelical faith forms the foundation and core ethos of this African based organisation. Many of the Partner organisations which have been established around the world share this Christian perspective on the organisation’s work.
This African based maternal health organisation wishes to establish a partner organisation in the United States of America as a registered charity with tax deductible status. The purpose of doing so is to ensure that there is an entity within the United States that is dedicated to supporting the work of the organisation as a close partner into the future. An important step in establishing the new US Partner is to select a suitably qualified, skilled and committed like minded person who shares the same values and ethos to fulfil the role of Executive Officer.
The Executive Officer will have oversight of all aspects of establishing and operating the fundraising organisation.
In the initial stages the success of the new organisation will depend on the skills and capabilities of the Executive Officer and the small newly establishment board.
This is an extremely exciting role for a special person who wishes to use their skills to achieve a difference for those less fortunate. It is a role for a self starter who is energetic, dynamic and a lateral thinker. The ideal candidate will be passionate about supporting women and maternal health.
- An initial visit to Africa to orient the candidate with the organisation and its various activities. This is anticipated to be approximately two weeks.
- Establish the new organisation in the United States of America. This will involve:
- Liaising with the African organisation’s CEO and the Hospital’s US lawyers to ensure that the legal and regulatory requirements for establishing the new entity as a tax deductible charity are satisfied
- Assist in identifying possible directors with the aim of growing a suitably qualified and skilled Board for the new organisation. Also maintaining good communication with these people.
- Establishing a working office for the new organisation
- Establishing an initial operating budget for the organisation and discussing with the African organisation and its partners possible alternatives for initial funding
- Recruiting additional suitably qualified personnel as required and as funding permits.
- Raise public awareness and ongoing donor support
- Develop and implement strategies to raise, within the United States, public awareness of the existence of the new US charity dedicated to supporting the work of the African organisation.
- Develop and implement fund raising strategies to raise financial support specifically for the work of African organisation.
- Develop a donor base that will provide ongoing support for this work.
Organisation and Compliance
- Ensure that the US organisation is run efficiently and effectively and in accordance with its aims and objectives.
- Ensure compliance with the organisation’s US statutory obligations within the context of supporting the work of the African maternal health organisation.
The Executive Officer is accountable to the Board of the US based charity for the performance of his/her duties.
Skills and Capabilities
The following would be highly desirable:
- Tertiary qualifications in business, marketing, communications, community development or similar.
- Commitment to supporting the ideals of the work of the African maternal health organisation once fully cognisant of what this entails.
- Capable of quickly developing a thorough understanding of:
- The obstetric issue being dealt with in developing countries,
- The work of the African organisation and the various Partner organisations.
- Experience in assisting others in need within a faith based context
- A ‘self starter’ with initiative who is capable of working on his / her own (at least initially) to establish an effective US partner organisation for the African organisation within a relatively short space of time.
- Strong communication skills both in reporting, maintaining connections and giving public presentations.
- Experience in fund raising via Government sources, foundations, private philanthropy and at a community level.
- Contacts and networks with people and organisations likely to support the work of the African maternal health organisation.
- Demonstrated skills in winning others to a cause which they are prepared to support financially and in other ways.
- Experience in working in the context of a team based partnership.
- This role will involve regular travel to raise awareness and establish fundraising networks throughout Christian networks particularly throughout the United States
For further information please go to : www.hamlinfistula.org
The location of the office has some flexibility and is anticipated to be somewhere between Washington DC and NYC.
A salary package of $90,000 - $110,000 will be negotiated dependant upon the skills and experience of the successful applicant
Applications via email only to email@example.com. Closing date December December 5.