This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Development and Community Relations
Syracuse, New York, United States
Date Posted: 09/27/2010
Categories: Social Services
Job Type: Full-Time
The Salvation Army Empire State Division
Director of Development and Donor Relations
The Empire State Division is in the Eastern Territory, one of the four U.S. geographic service areas. The Empire State Division Headquarters (DHQ) is located in Syracuse, New York and is the administrative unit which provides programs and services to thousands of people annually throughout 48 Upstate New York counties, plus Sayre, Pennsylvania. The Director of Development and Community Relations (Director) will be based in Syracuse and will focus on donors throughout all of New York State except Buffalo, Syracuse, the lower Hudson valley, Manhattan and Long Island.
The Position: Director of Development and Community Relations
The Director of Development and Community Relations will play an integral role in the success of the Empire State Division’s fund development efforts, specifically by providing support and resources to every operating unit in the division. The Director is accountable for the development and execution of a Divisional Fundraising Strategy that incorporates short term and long term objectives. This role will be responsible for building connections for and with the Divisional Commander and General Secretary to high-level donors and people of influence in support of the overall development program in the Division.
The Qualified Candidate
The Salvation Army Empire State Division seeks a dynamic, entrepreneurial and professional leader with a minimum of eight years (five years in a leadership capacity) experience in a highly productive and progressive development and communications program and three years experience in public relations, communications and/or marketing within the nonprofit sector. Preference is given to those who have served in a multi-chapter and/or faith-based organization and possess a working knowledge of the philanthropic communities throughout New York State. It is imperative that this individual fully embrace the mission of The Salvation Army. The Director will be creative, energetic and aggressive, with the ability to identify and develop opportunities for donors and The Salvation Army to come together.
The successful candidate will also have:
• A Bachelor’s Degree with relevant advanced training or degree desired; Master’s Degree and CFRE designation preferred.
• Career track record that shows stability with an organization and a demonstrated ability to develop, nurture and build relationships with diverse individuals.
• Ability to lead a team and proven experience in staff management of similar sized teams.
• Demonstrated ability to set and achieve or exceed goals and meet deadlines.
• A high level of comfort with direct donor interaction, including discussions of personal and family finances and asking for money is a must.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently in a complex environment, managing multiple projects and conflicting priorities.
• Strong decision-maker with skillful approach that evaluates options, resources and outcomes in light of the strategic plan of the Division.
• A communications and management style that exhibits the principles and values of The Army, as well as fosters team relationships and effectively communicates information.
• Advanced understanding of resource development and communications systems and programs and the professional knowledge to achieve department objectives.
• Effective interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
• Advanced understanding of resource development systems and the professional knowledge necessary to achieve department objectives.
• Willingness to travel regularly.
• A proficiency in Word and Excel, as well as experience with donor tracking and/or database software is preferred.
• A strong commitment to know and understand The Army’s history, mission, and structure, as well as its services, policies and procedures.
The Salvation Army offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
This search is being managed by Heather Eddy, CFRE, President and COO, Alford Group Executive Search. Interested candidates should apply online at http://ag-es.kintera.org/applicant.
Only questions may be addressed to Claire Waiksnoris, Senior Search Associate, at email@example.com. Applications will not be accepted via email. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.