This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Music and Worship Ministry
Palos Park Presbyterian Community Church
Palos Park, Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 08/26/2010
Categories: Music Ministry
Job Type: Full-Time
The Position of Director of Music and Worship Ministry
Purpose of Position:
To provide leadership and guidance for the Palos Park Presbyterian Community Church (PPPCC) in worship through music. The Director of Music and Worship Ministry must have a thorough understanding of music in its application to traditional and contemporary service settings of Church worship. The Director must have the ability and motivation to develop our congregation’s capacity and desire to glorify God through music.
The Director of Music and Worship Ministry must be driven to worship and glorify God with excellence and continual improvement, musically expressing the Word of God for worship experiences at the PPPCC. S/he collaborates with other staff members and lay leaders to provide musical and other support to educational and other programming at PPPCC.
S/he understands that we exist to worship God.
S/he also understands that the worship experience is evangelistic, i.e. it is often the first impression that visitors have of PPPCC and therefore must be warm and inviting, but also compelling.
1. Plan and prepare music (choral and/or instrumental) to be presented at Sunday morning worship services and special occasions.
2. Expose musical groups and the congregation to music from all periods of musical history, and to reach and maintain the highest possible standards in the performance of such music and activities.
3. Assist in the development of contemporary worship service including a reasonable variety of vocal and instrumental music.
4. To improve quality of performance of musical groups.
5. To increase membership in choral and other musical groups by soliciting and engaging all age groups from our congregation.
6. To utilize a wide variety of musical means of worship and education for our congregation.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. The Director of Music and Worship Ministry will report and respond directly to the Senior Pastor. In addition, the Director will work with the Worship Team, and the organist in matters pertaining to his/her responsibilities, and assume any additional duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
2. Be responsible for the total music program including music selection in coordination with the Senior Pastor. Take part in leading every worship service planned by the Worship Team unless otherwise excused. To include: (1) Sunday morning worship services; (2) Special services during the church year, such as, but not limited to; Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Thanksgiving Eve, Christmas Eve, etc. (3) Select special music when appropriate to be performed by either soloists or performance groups; and (4) Special concerts.
3. Lead the Chancel Choir, Bell Choir and other components of the adult music ministry program (both traditional and contemporary.)
4. Build upon the variety of styles of worship already developed (choral, orchestral, bells, gospel, rock, jazz, bluegrass, folk) and develop new styles of worship.
5. Scheduling rehearsals, teaching, training and mentoring.
6. Assist Director of Children’s Ministry in planning and implementing and direct (as requested) the children’s music ministry program, including Vacation Bible School.
7. Recruit members for musical groups and encourage new members (vocalists and instrumentalists) from within the congregation and beyond.
8. Maintain and update music library
9. Take part in local music activities that would benefit PPPCC music programs.
10. Develop and maintain a music leadership organization that would assist in planning of musical activities (music social events, library assistance, membership newsletters and music selection.)
11. Continually seek out and bring forward new musical ideas and innovations, on how to improve/elevate the worship experience at PPPCC. Discuss the concepts with Pastors and Worship Team members and implement the best of them.
12. Assist in music selection for funerals, weddings and special services as requested and needed.
13.Coordinate with the church organist in the securing of substitute organists during organist’s absences.
14. Serve ex-officio on Worship Team.
15. Attend and participate in regular and or special meeting of The Church Staff.
16. Organize and coordinate music for worship services during the summer months.
17. Be responsible for music program publicity in Church publications and bulletin boards.
1. A commitment to Jesus Christ and to the promotion of the worship of the Triune God in accordance with the biblical standards.
2. Experience in music education, performing and directing.
3. Leadership including initiative taking, creativity, effective communication, human relations skills, organization.
4. Experience in a church setting and atmosphere.
1. The Director of Music and Worship Ministry reports to the Senior Pastor. S/he is also accountable to the Worship Team.
2. S/he supervises music interns, leaders and organist.
1. Weekly Staff Meetings – attendance and reporting.
2. Monthly Worship Ministry meetings – attendance and reporting
Professional Characteristics and Qualifications
1. Extraordinary musical background and performance skill. Excellent instrumental and vocal musicianship across multiple musical genres; lead vocalist competency; piano and keyboard required, multi-instrumentalist ideal.
2. Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop and mentor vocalists, instrumentalists and others involved in the music ministry.
3. Drive to understand, master and integrate the best in traditional and contemporary worship experience.
4. Demonstrated composition and orchestration skill.
5. Administrative gifting and organizational skill.
6. Diligence and creativity, with a true sense of vision.
7. Warm, enthusiastic, and relational personality, with the capacity to work well with both individuals and teams.
8. Highly effective interpersonal skills.
9. A minimum of an undergraduate degree in music and/or significant church music leadership experience.
Faith – A strong personal commitment reflects the fact that candidate accepts, acknowledges and trusts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior; a sense of the Church as the body of believers; and a desire to share with all those encountered the Good News of God’s love and salvation in Jesus Christ.
Vision – An ability to look beyond current activities in this area in anticipation of further growth, and a passion to maintain strong and relevant educational programs.
Leadership – An ability and presence to induce others to follow. Leads and coaches by example set by Jesus Christ our Savior. Plans, organizes and executes with minimal intervention.
Ethics – A commitment to understand and live within biblical, confessional, moral, and ethical boundaries as expressed in the Professional Moral and Ethical Standards of PPPCC.
Passion for excellence – remembering that all service is to the Lord!
Task-orientation – Maintains “Big Picture” while having the presence to ensure immediate needs are being met. Monitors assignments at a detail level.
Team Player – Collaborates well with all levels of staff, comfortable in the presence of subordinates and superiors, honest, open and committed to common goals at all times.
Organization and flexibility – Considered to be well organized, able to work on or direct multiple projects simultaneously. Openly creative and able to handle the unexpected as it arises with alternatives/contingency plans. Adapts well to change.
Compassion – Cares deeply for the well being and self-esteem of everyone s/he comes in contact with. Sensitive to the needs of others, promotes open sharing of ideas and feelings.
Communication – Listens attentively and communicates effectively both orally and in writing. Able to lead groups, moderate meetings, facilitate discussions and present concepts.
Administration – Experienced in recruiting, training and development. Good project management skills. Understands and communicates lines of authority.
Theology – Has appropriate understanding of theology. Is thoroughly Reformed and passionately evangelical.
Director of Music and Worship Ministry
Full Time: Yes
Vacation: July and August choir does not typically lead in worship.
Director of Music and Worship Ministry arranges music for summer worship services, but is not required to be in attendance. Other Sundays of absence(s) must be arranged in advance with the Senior Pastor.
Salary: Negotiable, based on commensurate positions, experience, education, and ability.
Continuing Educ.: Encouraged, stipend provided.
Notice: The church requests at least 60 days notice and will give at least that amount of notice.
Interested applicants should send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to:
Palos Park Presbyterian Community Church
12312 S. 88th Avenue
Palos Park, IL 60464