This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
The Salvation Army
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 08/01/2010
Categories: Church/Ministry - Social Services
Job Type: Full-Time
The Corps Program Assistant will team with the officers to build corps ministry programs, strengthen corps ability to grow memberships within the corps and aid the officer in overall operation of the corps to assure efficient and effective operation of the corps ministry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct a study to determine needed areas of youth programming for the corps area. Develop programming to address needs in corps area based upon studies conducted. Evaluate and recommend ministries as needs arise.
• Responsible for encouraging and aiding in the spiritual growth of youth and young adults for The Salvation Army.
• Supervise and coordinate Sunday Youth Activities including: Sunday school, Junior Soldiers, Corps Cadets, Junior Church and any new initiatives.
• Coordinate corps programs under the direction of the corps officers.
• Recruit volunteer help, make assignments, and recruit participation for programs being offered. Process complete volunteer applications and prepare submissions for The Salvation Army and state clearances as appropriate.
• Prepare and conduct corps programs as assigned by the corps officers.
• Work in coordination with corps officers and corps drivers to provide transportation schedule for activities which require transportation or which participants require transportation.
• Responsible for encouraging participation and taking part in divisional functions and activities.
• Work to recruit children to attend summer camp and arrange transportation and registration of children.
• Act as responsible party to oversee any and all activities in the event of any absence of corps officers or in the absence of leaders who normally conduct such activities.
• Conduct leaders/volunteers meetings as needed to coordinate programs activities and maintain balanced programming for young people.
• Follow up on absentees within the corps.
• Maintain statistical records and any reports for all activity conducted.
• Responsible for attempting to link social service clients families and program individuals with corps activities and worship functions. Oversee special social service ministries that could be used to link people to corps programs.
• Attend and participates in the corps council providing routine reports and updates.
• Evaluate ministries and make recommendations as need to Corps Officers.
• Explore and develop ministry opportunities connected to the food pantry and medical clinic.
• Work with Youth at Risk Counselor to involve children in corps programs
• Make certain all The Salvation Army owned/rented property and equipment is maintained and kept in good order seeing that areas are kept neat, clear of clutter and clean.
• Meet with Officers at least once a week to update them on progress being made in program development and to alert them to any challenges that may require their assistance.
• Maintain good The Salvation Army public relations within the community. Promote programs and provide any needed education on The Salvation Army functions and services.
• Be responsible for facility and equipment security making sue that buildings are properly locked and equipment stored under lock and key.
• Responsible for safety and well being of participants in programs and will not leave any minors unsupervised at any time.
• Maintain proper receipts and accounting procedures for any of The Salvation Army’s expenses as required by The Salvation Army accounting guides.
• Maintain proper statistics for all activities and human services provided.
• Provide written reports as needed.
• Keep regular office hours for preparation of programs and activities.
• Assist with answering phones and provide client assistance as needed.
• Serve as Christmas Kettle Coordinator, including liason work with kettle sites/stores, hiring, training, transporting and supervision of kettle workers. Assist with counting of money and record keeping via Kettle Manager
• Support Divisional Youth Events/meetings as directed by Corps Officer
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must possess management, organizational and creativity skills
• Must possess basic office skills including use of computer
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Musical Abilities a plus