About the Organization
Forest Home operates three distinct Christian camp sites in Southern California: MILL CREEK CANYON, THE WOODLANDS and OJAI VALLEY. Each site is a year-round, interdenominational, non-profit ministry serving 144 programs to 40 denominations and over 50,000 men, women and children annually.
Mill Creek Canyon and the Woodlands are only 90 minutes from L.A., this scenic and historical 500 acre center rests a mile high in a valley of two 10,000 foot mountain peaks and is recognized as being a place where God moves. Location
Forest Home - Mill Creek Department
Food Service Full-Time/Part-Time
Culinary Manager/Head Chef Description
• Active and contributing participant on the Food Service Leadership Team.
• Facilitates an interactive and collaborative leadership role for culinary operations, both within the department and with other departments including but not limited to program and guest services.
• Focuses on supporting all kitchens by delegating, assigning projects and monitoring operating standards.
• Create new & innovative products for a variety of venues that focus on quality guest experience.
• Formulates, implements, and monitors procedural guidelines, policies and standards within scope.
• Creates and successfully implements all projects within scope.
• Accountable for menu design and maintenance, recipe specifications, and food cost control (portioning).
• Follows industry trends.
• Oversees the recruiting, hiring, training, evaluation, development and discipline of all staff within supervisory scope.
• Develops precise food standards and works closely with purchasing/commissary manager to insure consistent, quality products within budgetary guidelines.
• Regularly monitors external and internal feedback and takes prompt corrective action to maintain the highest level of guest satisfaction.
• Develops relationships and collaborates with other departmental leaders.
• Advocates for and leads staff in proper kitchen sanitations/cleanliness pertaining to the San Bernardino County Health Department codes.
• Responsible for proper staff scheduling based on the proper blending of information from department leaders, labor budget, guest experience expectations, and the production and presentation of meals.
• Familiarity with reading, understanding, and determining implications from financial reports.
• Assists in planning and coordinating special events, both on and off-site.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Actively supports and participates in staff spiritual life activities.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for the supervision of all culinary staff including: Sous Chef, Chef De Partie, Demi Chef De Parte, Hourly Cooks, Baker and utility employees. Additionally, supervises other Food Service employees as necessary. Position Requirements
• Five years of progressive management experience in a hotel/resort food or banquet settings.
• At least two years of college with a Bachelors degree preferred in a culinary related field.
• Knowledge of food trends and traditions, both in the camping and general food service industries.
• Experience in the process of creating and implementing new concepts in a food service environment.
• Supervisory experience, with demonstrated management ability that promotes trust through character and competency.
• Knowledge of and proven ability to comply with health department codes.
• Proven financial management skills.
• Possesses well developed leadership skills, with the ability to motivate, teach, and nurture staff.
• Excellent people service and interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to provide service and streamline processes without compromising the integrity of the department or Forest Home and its policies and procedures.
• Able to accomplish assigned projects utilizing excellent communication (written and verbal), project management, time management and collaboration skills.
• Composure in stressful, high-pressure situations.
• A self-starter.
• Regular, timely attendance.
• Supportive of Forest Home's Statement of Faith and Code of Conduct.
• Demonstrated support and involvement in a local church.
• Servant heart and Christ-like attitude. Pay Range / Hours
Salary to commensurate with experience. TO APPLY:
Please fill out an Online Application
by visiting our Career Search Page to view the Culinary Manager/Head Chef
position. Only Applications Online will be considered for the position.If you have questions please feel free to contact us by Email