This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Child and Youth Counselor
Family Life Services
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Date Posted: 07/10/2010
Categories: Social Services
Job Type: Part-Time
Family Life Services (FLS), a growing nonprofit Christian ministry located at 1880 S. Cascade in Colorado Springs, is seeking a seasoned licensed counseling professional for an immediate opening. The mission of Family Life Services is to provide single parents and their children with spiritual and emotional healing through counseling, mentoring and training in a secure environment. Currently we provide a transitional resident program for mothers and children and outpatient counseling for people in the community. You can learn more about the ministry of FLS by visiting our web site at www.flscs.org. ONLY those who are licensed therapists in Colorado will be considered for this position.
The Child and Youth Counselor exists to provide counseling for children, youth and their parents who participate in Family Life Services (FLS) programs. The Child and Youth Counselor also will provide services to outpatient clients referred to by FLS Program Director and through personal acquisition.
• Supports the ministry in prayer and mission
• Provide individual and group counseling for children and youth
• Participate in evaluating families for admission into the resident program
• Participate in weekly team meetings and prayer times
• Provide therapeutic counsel and instruction to parents and children on relational and parenting issues
• Maintain appropriate case records for all counselees
• Assist in leading support groups for mothers or fathers as needed
• Works to actively promote the services of Family Life Services and has a strong desire to build out-patient client base
• Performs other duties as assigned
Working Environment/Physical Requirements:
• Works in an office environment
• Has frequent exposure to intense emotional “crisis” situations
• May engage in recreational activities as part of the therapeutic process
• Has the ability, skills, experience, desire and gifting to carry out the responsibilities of this position
• Master’s Degree in psychology, counseling, marriage and family therapy, or social work
• LMFT, LCSW, Clinical Psychologist, or LPC
• Must be a licensed therapist in Colorado
• 3-4 years experience in counseling
• Understanding of political, social, and religious issues that impact the family
• Has experience with single parent family ministry
• Possesses good clinical skills (ability to counsel and assist others in resolving problems)
• Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written)
• Competent in use of PC software
• Counseling skills well integrated with Biblical values and psychological principles
• Experienced in doing play therapy with children
• Experienced in administering appropriate testing instruments to children and youth
Uphold our core values of:
• Truth: submitted to the authority of scripture; speaking and living in truth to one another; refusing to walk in darkness
• Responsiveness: to the leading of the Holy Spirit; to others; to the need for change
• Relevancy: participating with God in what He is doing today
• Kindness: love in action
• Integrity: in all that is done organizationally, financially, personally
• Dignity: esteem and respect every individual
• Competency: carrying out responsibilities through skill, knowledge, experience and personal and professional growth
• Strong Christian faith, expressed in daily behaviors.
• Displays strong Biblical, professional and personal discernment.
• Sufficiently spiritually mature to teach, model and mentor children, youth and parents.
• Creates a favorable first impression – appearance, manner, demeanor, and appropriate attire.
• Able to impress favorably and win long-term confidence and trust.
• Enthusiastic, high level of energy; possesses genuine warmth and friendliness.
• Is aware of strengths as well as shortcomings.
• Emotionally resilient; capable of handling pressure and rejection without inappropriate disappointment.
• Strong ability to understand different perspectives and viewpoints and to employ appropriate decisions.
• Flexible and comfortable in dealing with constant program changes.
• Pass Colorado Bureau of Investigation and Federal Fingerprinting checks.
• Be of good standing/reputation in the community.
• Adhere to confidentiality guidelines.
The Child & Youth Counselor provides counseling for children and youth who participate in Family Life Services programs. This part-time position provides a counseling office, administrative services, marketing support and professional liability insurance. In exchange, the counselor is asked to donate six hours per week and is compensated for up to an additional seven (7) hours per week. Further compensation can be derived through the opportunity to build an outpatient counseling load and receive 75% of the fees. This position does not offer benefits.
If interested please send cover letter & resume to:
Ron Bennett, ACSW, LCSW
Family Life Services
1880 S. Cascade Ave. Colorado Springs, CO 80805