This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director, Scripture Engagement Content
American Bible Society
Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 04/27/2010
Categories: Church/Ministry - Communications
Job Type: Full-Time
Director, Scripture Engagement Content
After 194 years of ongoing ministry, the American Bible Society continues to work toward one essential purpose: to invite people to experience the life-changing message of the Bible.
Our mission is to invite the Word of God to speak. To engage people across each generation to discover the promises and purposes of the Bible. Headquartered in New York City, and working with a staff of over 200 persons, we offer a range of innovative Bible ministries to address core life questions and essential needs. Additionally, we partner with Christian churches and ministries around the world to raise the level of Bible engagement across the whole Church.
From 1816 to today, our desire remains the same—to serve as America’s leading Bible catalyst, allowing the Word of God to speak afresh to this and every generation.
ABS was founded in New York City in 1816 by a group of philanthropists as a donor-supported nonprofit ministry presenting the Bible in compelling ways so that people would be given the opportunity to experience life in its fullness through faith in Jesus Christ.
American Bible Society has operated from its headquarters in New York, NY since its inception and is governed by a board of directors. ABS has a number of “firsts”: Bibles in hotels; first charitable gift annuities; first pocket Bibles for soldiers (during the Civil War); supplying the Bible given to the riders of the Pony Express; first Bibles provided to the U.S. Military in the 1817 provision of Bibles for the fledgling U.S. Navy; the first translation done by the Bible Society was in 1818 into a Native American language. ABS has grown to deliver the Word of God through media, multiple languages, books & tapes.
To make the Bible available to every person in a language and format each can understand and afford, so all people may experience its life-changing message. The mission is carried out by:
* Affirming the power of God to speak to every generation through the Holy Scriptures
* Providing translations of the Holy Scriptures that are faithful to the wording of the original language biblical texts
* Working in partnership with all Christian churches and Christian communities
* Producing materials that avoid endorsing or advocating any doctrinal positions
* Utilizing appropriate communication tools that allow the Word of God to come alive in individual and public life
To meet its continuing challenges with creativity and innovation under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Among the opportunities presented in the third millennium are:
• The burgeoning youth population
• The rapidly expanding numbers of people who seek political refuge and freedom
• The growing number of person who seek spiritual meaning in a secular or hostile culture
• The many individuals whose main learning is in a new idioms and electronic media, both audible and visual
• The new media opportunities that are being developed on a routine basis.
The Director, Scripture Engagement Content will operate out of ABS’s office in the Valley Forge, PA, area near Philadelphia. Reporting to the Director, Ministry Advancement, the Director, Scripture Engagement Content is responsible to:
Oversee the Content Development function in support of creating and acquiring Scripture engagement solutions in multiple formats both digital and print; to work collaboratively with the Ministry Advancement team and other ABS staff in planning and implementing action strategies and tactics that are congruent with the organization’s strategic direction, recognizing the need to be intentionally developing content that will serve multiple channels while continually supporting the organization’s overall objectives.
Desired ministry outcomes include:
Scripture engagement tools that facilitate a lifelong practice of daily Scripture, while reflecting the highest standards of biblical scholarship for content, highest industry standards for design, and highest industry standards for outcome measurement.
Supervise one manager and develop a growth plan to extend capacity through additional staff and/or contracted workers.
DESIRED BACKGROUND AND STYLE
• Academic terminal degree, MA or higher, and related to biblical studies
• Hands-on experience developing and editing scripture-based content
• Digital media experience
• Publishing and/or teaching experience
• Minimum of 5 years related experience in training and/or supervising staff
• Due to the increasing publication of resources in Spanish, bilingual English/Spanish fluency is preferred.
The successful candidate should be a self-starter who can organize his/her work and time without having a great deal of direction.
This person must enjoy and be effective in working in fast-paced organizations with a can-do attitude.
This person must be a follower of Christ. Denominational background is not important; however, core beliefs about what it means to be a follower of Christ are essential. This will be proven by the person’s ability to affirm commitment to the vision, mission and purpose of American Bible Society as set forth in its relevant statements.
• The successful candidate will be someone who is highly collaborative. S/he must be motivated to cooperate with others in a team environment and have a call and passion for working cross-functionally, investing in relationships.
• The candidate of choice will be someone that is sensitive to the needs of individuals and utilizes their strong political skills to maneuver in the organizational culture.
• This person needs to be a self-starter who can work effectively with the Director, Ministry Advancement who is very forward thinking and wants things done with excellence in a timely manner.
• There is a logistical element to success in this role. The Director, Scripture Engagement Content must be a strategic thinker that can put together and work the plan. S/he is motivated by measurable outcomes.
• S/he must have a good understanding of budget development and accountability. The position will initially manage, which should grow over time, so a history of successful leadership and management is a must.
• As a supervisor, this person should be committed to developing a strong team, creative and open to “out of the box” ideas. S/he needs to be a good supervisor of and mentor to employees.
WHERE IS THIS PERSON TODAY?
The ideal candidate is currently working for a business or nonprofit organization where his/her primary responsibilities include developing curriculum with the intent of providing high quality researched writing for a variety of audiences. S/he may be leading a team of writers, curriculum development specialists or web content developers, or operating at a high level in one of those roles.
The compensation for the Director, Scripture Engagement Content will be competitive with the market for similar levels of responsibility. ABS has a competitive benefits package.
INTEREST, REFERRALS and CONFIDENTIALITY
We encourage anyone who feels a potential calling to such a place of service to contact us and discuss the position. Alternatively, you might want to recommend someone for this position.
We fully respect the need for confidentiality of information supplied by interested parties and assure them that their backgrounds and interests will not be discussed with anyone, including the leadership of our client without prior consent, nor will reference contacts be made until mutual interest has been established.
Making the right selection in a scripture centric position is such a critical decision for an organization whose heartbeat is the Word of God that we go to great lengths to assure our client that the men and women we present as candidates for a position of this type are the most qualified and experienced individuals that we can find.
We realize that this is a lot of information, but for the magnitude of this hiring decision, we want to be able to provide our clients with as much concrete data as possible. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
When formulating your resumé, please include the following information for each position you have held in the past 10 years:
Employer (name of organization or company)
Your time of employment there (i.e. 1999 – 2009)
Share with us the specific reason why you moved to the next organization/position
In addition to what you have shared with us about your experience, we would like to gain a more complete picture of you and your interest in the American Bible Society. Please provide thoughtful responses to the following questions:
1. If you are coming from the private sector, at this point in your career, why are you interested in working for a nonprofit organization?
2. What is it about the mission of American Bible Society that attracts you to this position?
3. Describe your work style and methods. What makes you an effective contributor? What are some of the challenges you have recently faced in your job and how have you dealt with these challenges?
4. Give an example of a content development project, or a related example, that illustrates how your career experience relates to this position.
5. Tell us about your Christian faith and any involvement you have had with the local church, small groups, etc.
Submit these responses (in Word format) along with your resumé to:
Sheila Vester – Search Coordinator
SIMA International, Rocky Mountains Office
E mail: SVester@SIMAinternational.com
(Please submit e-mail attachments in Word format with American Bible Society in the subject line.)
This Opportunity Profile has been posted on our website which can be accessed using the link below: