COPA is an ecumenical Christian charity based in the Dominican Republic, working in 2 poor villages close to Barahona. COPA has provided a school and a medical clinic in each village. LaHoya is a Dominican village and Bombita is a Haitian migrant village. The aim of COPA is to share God's love, particularly through service. Currently, we have 5 long term volunteer positions in the Dominican Republic - a Project Director, 2 Education Advisors, project administrator for sponsorship, trade room development. and accounting and the Health Advisor. The COPA projects are assisted by 4 Gap Year volunteers (Project Trust) who work in the schools and are replaced annually.
The Project Director serves a 3 year term and primarily leads and proactively manages the work of the COPA schools and clinics in Bombita and LaHoya, the Partnership schools, and to identify potential new projects. The incumbent would implement COPA policy as established jointly by COPA UK, COPA USA and COPA DR boards, and coordinate the work of these bodies , advising them as necessary.
JOB DESCRIPTION for the Project Director:
RELATIONSHIPS / Internal:
* The COPA Staff in the Dominican Republic
* The members of COPA DR Executive Committee (Fundación)
* The COPA Executive Committees in the USA and UK and their Officers
* The members of the School and Clinic Committees
* The Head teachers, teachers and ancillary staff in the COPA Schools
* The Doctors, Nurses and staff in the COPA Clinics
RELATIONSHIPS / External:
* The Communities of La Hoya and Bombita
* The Government Departments of Education and Health in the Dominican Republic
* Funding agencies and major contributors to COPA
* The press and various other media
* Other Non Governmental Organisations and development charities
* The suppliers and service providers to COPA DR
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
* To implement COPA policy as established jointly by COPA UK, COPA USA and COPA DR and to coordinate the work of these bodies, advising them as necessary.
* To lead and proactively manage the development of the projects in La Hoya, Bombita, the Partnership Schools and to identify potential new projects.
* To act as line manager giving support and guidance to the Assistant Project Director, Education Advisors, Health Administrator and other COPA workers in the Dominican Republic.
* To develop the effective operation of Fundación Compañeros de la Comúnidad (COPA DR) including the recruitment of suitable membership
MAIN TASKS: Working in close cooperation with the Health Administrator, Education Advisors, Assistant Project Director and other voluntary staff:
* To further the work of COPA in the Dominican Republic by the implementation of COPA policies.
* To develop the effective operation of the Executive Committee of COPA DR, including the recruitment of suitable members.
* To represent (with other staff) COPA UK and COPA USA at meetings of Fundación Compañeros de la Comúnidad (COPA DR) and together with professional advisors to attend the meetings of its subcommittees on health and education.
* To prepare an Annual Report of the work of COPA in the DR for the Executive Committees of COPA UK and COPA USA, evaluating past targets and formulating future objectives and budgetary needs.
* To be accountable for the COPA finances in the DR ensuring that annual financial budgets are adhered to and that care is exercised in the expenditure of COPA funds.
* Together with the Sponsorship volunteer (currently the APD) to share in the administration of the Sponsorship Programme and to be ultimately responsible for its maintenance.
* To preside over the regular meetings of the above COPA management team in the DR reporting its recommendations to the COPA UK and US committees.
* To have overall responsibility for monitoring the COPA projects in the DR on behalf of COPA UK and COPA USA.
* To have responsibility for the good maintenance of all COPA equipment, vehicles and buildings in the DR overseeing the Dominican facility manager.
* To keep COPA UK and COPA USA abreast of the progress and needs of the Project, corresponding with them on a regular monthly basis and at other times as necessary.
* To represent COPA at meetings of outside bodies both Governmental and Non Governmental.
* To negotiate new contracts and agreements to be made, and as necessary, to renegotiate existing contracts with the Dominican Government or other agencies firstly for approval by COPA UK, COPA US & COPA DR and then, representing * To foster interest in, and enthusiasm for, the work of COPA in the DR by communicating with the COPA UK & COPA US Officers and replying to their requests.
* To generate further interest in the work of COPA through writing news items etc., for the COPA newsletters in the UK and USA and the media in general.
* To welcome volunteer work groups to the Project, establishing a suitable time for their visits and, together with the other COPA staff, to see that their visits are worthwhile and a profitable experience. To arrange for the group’s accommodation and hosting and to assist the visiting team leaders with planning the visit.
* To facilitate the induction of new COPA Staff members, offering guidance both before and after their arrival in the Dominican Republic.
* To set targets and conduct performance reviews for COPA staff and volunteers.
* To undertake any other reasonable duties consistent with the responsibilities of the post.
* A committed, practising Christian, able to promote the Christian ethos of COPA
* Become an integral part of the community, respecting cultural differences and their effects on day to day realities
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a Criminal Records Bureau check (or equivalent) before commencing work.
Start date for COPA Project Director Jan. 2011. To appy for this position please forward your Resume and Cover Letter to this EMAIL Address
Please if you have a heart for missions and feel you could fill this position we would love to hear from you.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Mobilization AssociateConverge Worldwide
- Orlando, Florida
- December 9
Vice President of CommunicationForum of Christian Leaders
- Lisle, Illinois
- December 8
Missionary-English Teacher in JapanShukugawa Bible Church
- Nishinomiya-shi, Hyogo
- December 7
5 Kindergarten Teachers in ChinaAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- December 2
Entry Level Overseas University English TeachersAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- December 2
Community Partners, Inc. (COPA)
Founded in England and Florida, COPA works in support of communities in the Dominican Republic. Since 1991, volunteers from the U.K. and the U.S., alongside the people from the villages, have built two schools, two pre-schools, two dining shelters and two kitchens. More...