The Vice President: Director of Missions and Urbana has the opportunity to impact an entire generation of North American students in terms of global missions. This strategic role is vital to fulfilling InterVarsity’s Vision Statement – “to see students and faculty transformed, campuses renewed and world-changers developed.“ Billy Graham has called Urbana “one of the most powerful, stimulating forces in missions.”The Position
The Vice President: Director of Missions and Urbana reports to President Alec Hill and serves on the President’s Cabinet. S/he is a member of InterVarsity’s senior leadership team which crafts and implements the Fellowship’s strategic vision.
S/he leads the Missions Team. This includes: (1). the Urbana Student Missions Convention; (2). Global Link which sends InterVarsity staff to serve student movements in other nations; (3). Global Projects; (4). Urban Projects; and, (5). Campus Missions’ Integration which seeks to bring Missions directly into our college chapters.
S/he provides strategic leadership to InterVarsity/USA’s relationship with the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). InterVarsity is one of 150 national student movements that affiliate with IFES.Expectations
• Be a maturing disciple who has a deep passion for the Lord, His Word, prayer and discipleship of the mind.
• Articulate clearly the vision and biblical basis of missions.
• Build a strong relationship with IFES and other national movements.
• Stay current with missiology, mission opportunities and world events.
• Serve as a Vice President of the whole Fellowship.
• Partner closely with all members of the Cabinet, particularly with the Senior VP/Director of Collegiate Ministries.
• Align all Missions’ activities with InterVarsity’s core campus purpose.
• Contribute to InterVarsity’s goals of multiethnicity and reconciliation.
• Effectively lead via envisioning, planning, supervising and evaluating.
• Collaborate with Advancement to raise funds for Missions initiatives (particularly Urbana).
• Network with and build alliances with churches and parachurch ministries.
• Develop a team of prayer and financial support.
• Represent InterVarsity externally via select speaking engagements.Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in cross-cultural studies strongly preferred.
• Extensive cross-cultural ministry experience.
• Extensive senior management experience.
• Significant theological acuity and spiritual maturity.
• Expertise in strategic analysis and organizational planning.
• Established ability to work collaboratively with peers.
• Proven ability to build and lead a diverse team in planning and implementation.
• Demonstrated ability to raise funds for staff and programs.
• Conflict resolution and mediation skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Willing to travel extensively.
• Capacity to handle complexity and ambiguity.Additional Information
The Vice President is officed in InterVarsity’s National Service Center in Madison, Wisconsin. It is expected that s/he will make a commitment to serve – at minimum – through the 2012 Urbana convention. The position opens on July 1, 2010.
For more information, please read our Search Announcement
and the full position description