Riviera UMC of St. Petersburg, FL (Tampa Bay), a growing church of 450, is seeking a FT Director of Worship and Creative Arts.
Riviera’s passion is to help people experience and grow in Christ. We are seeking a person who is eager to connect lost, broken people with God, in culturally relevant ways. This team-player will provide musical leadership for two contemporary worship services and lead the Worship Design Team to creatively plan worship. He/she will recruit and train volunteers for all worship arts elements and work to build a children’s choir and youth worship opportunities. Leadership and organizational skills required along with the ability to sing and play multiple instruments. If you feel your gifts and experiences fit what we are looking for, please send your resume and vocal/music samples to:Contact Information:
Riviera United Methodist Church
175 62nd Avenue North
St. Petersburg, FL 33702EMAIL to the attention of: BONNIEJob Description and General Summary:
Under the authority of the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC), the primary ministry priority of our Director of Worship and Creative Arts (the Position) is the total ministry (vision, leadership and management) of worship and praise (music and worship/creative arts) within the church. These elements of ministry are essential to weekend worship services, special services, and other church activities for the purpose of equipping followers of Christ in doing His ministry. The Position also provides leadership and programs that help children, youth, and adults develop and give expression to their faith as servants for Christ and leaders in worship.Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
• Provide musical leadership and accompaniment for worship services, be they contemporary, traditional, emergent, etc.
• Responsible for leading the Worship Design team and working with a team and the Pastor to creatively plan and design weekend worship experiences.
• Recruit, train and oversee volunteers for all worship arts elements, included but not limited to: vocalists, instrumentalists, sound/lighting team, tech team, drama ministry.
• Responsible for the development and continued success of a music program/worship opportunities for children and youth.
• Participate in annual Children’s Vacation Bible School music program.
• Provide music for special services (i.e. Christmas Eve, Good Friday, Easter, weddings* and funerals*). * See payment guidelines for further information regarding additional compensation provided.
• Responsible for the overall selection of music for the Worship Services and communicate the selection to the church secretary according to scheduled deadlines for publication.
• Encourage participation in all music, worship, and creative arts ministries and help create an atmosphere of Christian fellowship.
• Maintain audio/video equipment and ensure regular upgrades are made.
• Lead regular weekly rehearsals in addition to "special" rehearsals during the year.
• Work with Pastor on submitting an annual budget to the Finance Committee.
• Attend Staff, Worship Design, and Church Council meetings. Additional Duties And Responsibilities:
• Participates in core course training.
• Participates in the development and nurture of small groups.Performs any additional duties as assigned by Pastor or the SPRC.Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Possesses a faith in Jesus Christ and the ability to share it with others.
• Outgoing, eager and effective in connecting lost, broken people with God, in culturally relevant ways.
• Possesses comprehensive knowledge of music with an ability to sing and play multiple instruments, direct and lead others effectively.
• Able to work together with staff, volunteers and others as a team player carrying out the vision and mission of the church.
• Possesses love, care, and respect for all people.
• Possesses strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Able to influence others in a positive manner and interact effectively with others.
• Able to communicate thoughts, ideas, and information clearly and concisely.
• Able to use good judgment when making decisions, dependable, and reliable.
• Able to remain flexible under constantly changing demands and focused under occasionally distracting conditions.
• Able to be responsive and sensitive to the needs of others.Educational/Vocational/Previous Experience Recommendations:
• Associates Degree or the equivalent to 2-years of college (60 credit hours) required. Bachelors Degree preferred.
• A minimum of 3-year experience working in the music ministry (inclusive of worship design and creative arts) required.Other Information:
• Reports to Pastor.
• Paid bi-monthly – stipulated and reviewed by the SPRC & Finance committees.Vacation and Sick Time Off:
• Eligible for 10 working days of paid vacation time per calendar year. Vacation may not be taken during the first six months of employment and is not accumulative from one year to the next. Vacation time accumulations will be forfeited if unused upon termination of employment.
• Eligible for 3 working days of paid sick time per calendar year. Sick time off is not accumulative from one year to the next.
• All time off requests must be submitted to the Pastor and the SPRC, in writing, 2-weeks ahead of time and proper substitute should be secured.
• The Director of Worship, & Creative Arts is encouraged to participate in one continuing education opportunity per calendar year at the expense of the church (see annual budget for details).
• Resignation of Employment - employees resigning their position are asked to give a minimum of two-week notice to the pastor and the SPRC stating their reason for leaving. It is encouraged that the employee participates in an exit interview.
• The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. Other duties may be assigned as neededInterview process:
1) Candidate sends resume and vocal/musical samples to RUMC, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) RUMC responds with a job description and reviews resume and samples.
3) RUMC decides on resume and samles and then asks approved candidate to respond to the first interview questions that explore candidate's personal history and skills in designing a worship service and in leading a worship service.
4) Candidate submits answers to the first interview questions.
5) RUMC reviews candidate's submissions of first interview questions and schedules a phone interview with candidate(s) we select.
6) RUMC sends second set of interview questions exploring candidate's theological and leadership backgrounds.
7) Candidate submits responses.
8) RUMC reviews responses and selects candidate(s) for onsite interview.
9) RUMC schedules onsite interview with selected candidate(s) that includes practicing with Praise Team, leading worship and personal interviews.
RUMC will pay for only the candidate's travel and expenses, candidate will pay for travel of any family members.