Directors NEEDED Child and Family Ministries / Youth and Young Adult Ministries / Program DirectorDirector of Children’s and Family Ministries
Mount Hermon Camps and Conference Center, Santa Cruz, CA.
Mount Hermon Camps and Conference Center seeks a mature leader to lead a team of full-time, part-time and seasonal staff in implementing effective programs for children from birth through elementary school, and to impact our intergenerational family programs. Current programs for children include a nine-month preschool program, early childhood and elementary programs at family camp, traditional residential summer camp programs for elementary ages, and weekend retreats for fourth through sixth graders. Parent/child and grandparent/grandchild events are offered as well as a full summer of family camp for as many as 700 guests per week. A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required (Masters preferred), and at least five years of work experience, preferably in a supervisory role. Director of Children’s and Family Ministries position is a Full-time, Exempt Employee and Reports to Director of Program Ministries.Position Purpose:
To further the mission of Mount Hermon through the development and implementation of programs for children from birth through sixth grade, and through influencing intergenerational programs for optimum impact.Essential Job Functions:
1) Develop and implement Primary (entering 2nd through 4th grades) and Junior (entering 4th through 6th grades) summer programming for Mount Hermon’s Santa Cruz campus.
• Recruit, hire, train, and oversee the Redwood Camp summer staff
• Serve as the on-site Director for Redwood Camp during the summer season
• Lead Redwood Camp summer team in preparation and implementation of summer program
• Supervise Conference Center Child Care and Day Camp Coordinators
2) Provide leadership and supervision for Mount Hermon’s Playschool, a nine-month preschool program operating five days per week for the local community.
3) Develop and implement Primary and Junior year-round programming for Mount Hermon’s Santa Cruz campus, as well as intergenerational retreats for parents/children and grandparents/grandchildren.
4) Hire, train, and supervise the Children’s Ministry intern.
5) Work in partnership with the Recreation Director to maintain, develop, and execute recreation opportunities that progress Children’s/Family Ministries goals, not limited to but including:
• Mountain Biking
• Sea Kayaking
• High Adventure Activities
• Nature-based exploration
6) Hire, supervise, and coordinate the work schedules of Children’s/Family Ministry Staff (Playschool Director, Children’s Ministry Intern, Child Care and Day Camp Coordinators, Weekend Program Staff):
• Hire and train both long-term and seasonal Program Staff
• Oversee training of staff in their responsibilities
• Plan and assign program responsibilities
• Supervise work, review assignments and effectiveness of staff
• Evaluate individual performance.
7) Represent Mount Hermon and Mount Hermon’s Children’s and Family ministries to the local and global church body.
8) Develop and maintain partnerships between local church leaders and Mount Hermon’s Children’s and Family ministry.
9) Oversee Church Promotions for Children’s and Family programs.
10) Work with supervisor and other Mount Hermon employees to innovate and implement long-term programmatic development for children and families.
11) Prepare annual budget in consultation with supervisor and direct reports:
• Monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with budget
• Purchase equipment and supplies, maintain appropriate records and inventory
• Lead direct reports in cooperating with established business practicesOther Job Duties:
• Participate as a team member of the Program team representing the Children’s and Family Ministries perspective, and 10 assisting in other Mount Hermon program ministries.
• Work as the team leader for interdepartmental staff to execute a harmonious summer camp. These leaders include custodial, AV support, food service and others.
• Work in tandem with other programmers and other departments to recruit summer staff.Relationships:
1) Direct Reports:
• Mount Hermon Playschool Director
• Conference Center Child Care and Day Camp Coordinators
• Children’s Ministry Intern
2) Develop and maintain positive working relationship with Director of Church Relations, and other leaders to see that the Mission, Vision and Children’s/Family program opportunities of Mount Hermon are communicated potential guests in the local church.
3) Develop and maintain positive working relationship with Director of Camping Services to see that Mount Hermon’s children/family facilities help progress the programmatic goals of Children’s/Family Ministry.Qualifications:
1) A person of integrity and good moral character, who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
2) Minimum BA degree (MA degree preferred). If BA, then willingness and aptitude to pursue graduate work desired.
3) Minimum 5 years work experience, preferably in a leadership or supervisory role.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
4) ‘Fire in the belly’ to reach children for Jesus Christ.
5) Desire to impact relationships between members of families.
6) Understanding of how to impact not only individuals, but family systems, with spiritual objectives.
7) Knowledge of the culture which serves as context for our ministry.
8) Theological foundation to be able to screen and evaluate speakers and worship leaders.
9) Visionary leadership, i.e. this is not strictly an administrative position but one which will require creative thinking in developing programs for the future.
10) Ability to work collaboratively with a highly skilled team of peers.
11) Prior work experience in residential camping strongly desired.To Apply:
Please review the Mission Statement
on our website to ensure agreement before applying.
Send resume and cover letter by 11/15/09 to EMAIL
View our Employment
page for more details.