Directors NEEDED Child and Family Ministries / Youth and Young Adult Ministries / Program DirectorDirector of Children’s and Family Ministries
Mount Hermon Camps and Conference Center, Santa Cruz, CA.
Mount Hermon Camps and Conference Center seeks a mature leader to lead a team of full-time, part-time and seasonal staff in implementing effective programs for junior high and high school students. Current events for youth include traditional summer camps, intensive service and leadership programs focusing on spiritual formation, youth programs at family camp, and year-round retreat events for both students and youth leaders. Young Adult ministries include young adult programs at family camps, ministry to summer staff, and a year-round intern program for more than a dozen young adults. A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required (Masters preferred), and at least five years of work experience, preferably in a supervisory role.Position Purpose:
To further the mission of Mount Hermon through the development and implementation of programs for Jr. High and High School students and young adults.Essential Job Functions:
1) Develop and implement Jr. High and High School summer programming for Mount Hermon’s Santa Cruz campus.
Recruit, hire, train, and oversee Ponderosa Lodge summer staff
• Serve as the on-site Director for Ponderosa Lodge during the summer season
• Lead Ponderosa Lodge summer team in preparation and implementation of summer program
• Supervise Conference Center Youth Coordinator
• Supervise intensive high school programs such as Echo, Amata and CILT for the Santa Cruz Mountain camps.
2) Provide leadership for the Internship Steering Committee for all interns at the Santa Cruz Mountains locations (approximately 12 - 14 interns each year).
3) Develop and implement Jr. High, High School and youth leader year-round programming for Mount Hermon’s Santa Cruz campus.
4) Hire, train, and supervise the Youth Ministries interns.
5) Work in partnership with the Recreation Director to maintain, develop, and execute recreation that progress the Youth Ministries goals, not limited to but including:
• Mountain Biking
• Sea Kayaking
• High Adventure Activities
6) Hire, supervise, and coordinate the work schedules of Youth Ministries Staff (Associate Director of Youth/Young Adult Ministries, Conference Center Youth Coordinator, Weekend Program Staff):
• Hire and train both long-term and seasonal Program Staff
• Oversee training of staff in their responsibilities
• Plan and assign program responsibilities
• Supervise work, review assignments and effectiveness of staff
• Evaluate individual performance.
7) Represent Mount Hermon and Mount Hermon’s youth/young adult ministries to the local and global church body.
8) Develop and maintain partnerships between local church leaders and Mount Hermon’s youth/young adult ministry.
9) Oversee Church Promotions for Youth and Young Adult Ministry programs.
10) Work with supervisor and other Mount Hermon employees to innovate and implement long-term programmatic development for Jr. High and High School students.
11) Prepare annual budget in consultation with supervisor and direct reports:
• Monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with budget
• Purchase equipment and supplies, maintain appropriate records and inventory
• Lead direct reports in cooperating with established business practicesOther Job Duties:
1) Participate as a team member of the Program team representing the Youth/Young Adult Ministries perspective, and assisting in other Mount Hermon program ministries.
2) Work as the team leader for interdepartmental staff to execute a harmonious summer camp. These leaders include custodial, AV support, food service and others.
3) Work in tandem with other programmers and other departments to recruit summer staff.Relationships:
1) Direct Reports:
• Associate Director of Youth/Young Adult Ministries
• Conference Center Youth/Young Adult Coordinator
• Youth Ministry Interns
2) Develop and maintain positive working relationship with Director of Church Relations, and other leaders to see that the Mission, Vision and Youth Ministry program opportunities of Mount Hermon are communicated to Jr. and High School students in the local church.
3) Develop and maintain positive working relationship with Director of Camping Services to see that Mount Hermon’s youth facilities help progress the programmatic goals of the Youth Ministries.Qualifications:
1) A person of integrity and good moral character, who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
2) Minimum BA degree (MA degree preferred). If BA, then willingness and aptitude to pursue graduate work desired.
3) Minimum 5 years work experience, preferably in a leadership or supervisory role.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1) ‘Fire in the belly’ to reach youth and young adults for Jesus Christ.
2) Knowledge of youth culture and ministry applications.
3) Theological foundation to be able to screen and evaluate speakers and worship leaders.
4. Visionary leadership, i.e. this is not strictly an administrative position but one which will require creative thinking in developing programs for the future.
5) Ability to work collaboratively with a highly skilled team of peers.
6) Prior work experience in residential camping strongly desired.To Apply:
Please review the Mission Statement
on our website to ensure agreement before applying.
Send resume and cover letter by EMAIL
View our Employment
page for more details.