Directors NEEDED Child and Family Ministries / Youth and Young Adult Ministries / Program DirectorADVENTURE PROGRAMS DIRECTOR
Mount Hermon Camps and Conference Center, Santa Cruz, CA. Are you someone who savors the challenge of building young programs and serving as an entrepreneurial kingdom builder?
Mount Hermon Adventures is on a rapid growth curve with our one year old Redwood Canopy Tour Ministry – world’s first in the redwoods. We are also renewing our challenge courses and continuing to build a mature Team Building program. Our ideal candidate will have a four year degree with experience in business, adventure and ministry. He/she will have at least five years experience leading and developing programs into high performing ministry avenues that are both spiritually and financially profitable. This person must have solid business skills, an excellent track record, and marketing savvy as well as the core technical knowledge to effectively supervise these programs to continue within ACCT industry standards. Full-time, exempt, benefits. Summary:
This person is responsible for the overall marketing, growth, development, implementation and continuous improvement of all of Mount Hermon’s Santa Cruz based adventure programs, staff and facilities including the canopy tour, high ropes courses, climbing walls, low ropes elements and team building workshops.Reports to:
Director of Program Ministries (Day to Day)Liaison To:
Guests, Strategic Partners, Bonsai Design, Conference Services, and Program TeamSupervises:
Canopy Tour Staff, Team Building Workshop Coordinator, Recreation Coordinator (for high adventure programs) and other hourly staff working in Adventure. Bonsai staff working on-site as requested.Serves:
Internal Mount Hermon Programs and Events, Overnight Guests, and Day-use GuestsQualifications:
* Wholehearted support of Mount Hermon’s mission, vision, values and statement of faith.
* Wholehearted support of Bonsai Design’s mission, vision and values.
* Four year college degree, preferably with a mix of Business, Recreation/Adventure and Ministry Courses or the equivalent supplemental experience.
* Five years experience in building and growing large (250k+ revenue, 15+ PT staff) programs through effective business/ministry model planning and execution.
* Five years experience in a supervisory role with a proven track record of recruiting, training and retaining high quality staff.
* AMGA Top Rope Site Manager, ACCT Challenge Course and/or Canopy Tour Course Manager Certification or equivalent documented experience.
* Three to Five years experience facilitating roped adventure programs, team building, and related pursuits.
* Current CPR, First Aid and AED training including Adult and Child modules.
* Demonstrated ability to be certified as a canopy tour guide.
* A track record of attention to safety and for maintaining related logs, records and documents to current industry standards.Essential Functions:
* Physical ability to perform and to provide staff training in all the high angle rescue techniques needed to operate our various courses and facilities including litter transfers and cut-away rescues.
* Physically able to assess the safety of equipment, facilities, staff and guest using all five senses.
* Physically able to use common tools needed to perform routine maintenance on the adventure facilities including cable cutters, swaging tool, chain saw, wrenches, come-along, impact/drill driver, and ascenders.
* Physically able to ascend and to descend from a height of 150’ using common roped techniques.
* Able to provide and to understand written and verbal instructions to/from staff, to/from participants and to/from safety equipment manufacturers.
* Physically able to access our courses over rough and steep terrain.Primary Duties:
* Provide overall vision, direction and leadership to our adventure programs with a primary focus on developing the Redwood Canopy Tour to 7500+ guest uses and/or $500k of revenue annually by January 2011. (75%)
* Empower the Team Building Workshop Coordinator and Recreation Coordinator to fully bring programs to ACCT standards while steadily (5-10%/yr.) growing them in quality and participation. (25%)Secondary Duties:
* Develop and implement an annual strategic plan with goals and objectives for the adventure programs.
* Coordinate the development of and oversee the execution of a unified marketing plan and registration system in consultation with Mount Hermon leadership staff including registration, conference services, graphics, the print shop, web designers, director of church relations and the head of marketing.
* Pro-actively work with Conference Services to book facilities, to minimize group conflicts, and to maximize guest usage of adventure offerings.
* Design and carry out a plan for recruiting, training, developing and retaining adventure staff at appropriate levels with the aid of Mount Hermon’s human resources staff including summer staff attached to our youth properties.
* Design and develop life changing programming for overnight and day-use guests with an emphasis on the incorporation of teachable moments and spiritual development from a Christian world view.
* Provide supervision and leadership development for the Coordinators so that they can provide for the smooth daily operation of our adventure programs.
* Assure the operation of all programs and the construction of all facilities are in compliance with ACCT, local, state and national laws and codes.
* Provide for the maintenance, upkeep, and improvement of all adventure related equipment and facilities including all related documentation, logs, and records.
* Develop, track and manage the annual budget for the adventure area adjusting as needed to keep the programs at a level where net revenues exceed total expenses.
* Work on personal leadership, professional and spiritual development according to annual growth plan goals set with Bonsai and Mount Hermon supervisory staff.
* Work with the Recreation Coordinator to collaboratively develop and market packaged programs that incorporate biking, kayaking, paintball and other recreation programs.
* Serve as Project Manager for Phase II of the Canopy Tour as well as any other major re-construction or expansion of adventure facilities.
* Attend annual strategic planning retreats and other periodic program team events as requested.
* Other duties as assigned.To Apply:
Please review the Mission Statement
on our website to ensure agreement before applying.
Send resume and cover letter by EMAIL
View our Employment
page for more details.