We welcome applicants who are interested in either the Organist/Keyboard or the Choir Director responsibilities. In other words, we are willing to split the position (and the salary) if there is interest. Vision & Mission
Our mission at Providence United Methodist Church located in Richmond, Virginia
is to welcome all persons, invite them into a relationship with Jesus Christ and together be formed as faithful disciples. Our vision is to be partners with God making a difference in the world.
Providence United Methodist Church is a growing congregation with a desire to reach out to our neighbors. It is located in suburban Richmond, Virginia and has a worshipping congregation of 275. Music has always been a vibrant part of our worship, from lively congregational singing, to talented and joyful adult, youth and children’s choirs. Volunteer leaders assist our music director and we have a variety of instrumentalists. Our worship style is currently blended leaning toward traditional. A new sound and projection system will create many new opportunities for planning and leading worship.Currently we are looking to fill the position for a Part-Time Music Director.Reports to:
This part-time position is anticipated to be 20 hours per week. Description:
This position is responsible for developing, nurturing, and sustaining church music ministries and programs by encouraging, educating, and enabling people of all ages. In partnership with other worship leaders, this position is a shared ministry to create an atmosphere so the congregation and community can achieve a deeper connection with God in Christ and carry out the ministry and mission of the Church in a smooth, efficient, and effective manner.Church instruments include:
Allen 80 Rank Digital Renaissance 370 three-manual organ and Yamaha C7 grand pianoResponsibilities:
* Direct, coordinate, assist, and/or supervise weekly rehearsals and musical offerings of the church’s vocal and handbell choirs for Sunday services.
* Consult with the pastor to plan, select, and prepare special music/anthems for all worship services and special church activities.
* Arrange for appropriate music for the times when a choir is not present and/or a substitute when not present for worship services.
* Prepare the music budget for approval.
* Arrange for the care and maintenance of the organ and pianos of the church.
* Provide music for weddings and funerals as requested with remuneration by the individuals involved.
* Work cooperatively with other PUMC staff members, the Worship Committee, and church leadership.Qualifications:
* Proficient organist with professional certification (AGO or equivalent) preferred.
* Baccalaureate degree preferred with a focus in music or music education.
* Professional musical training in the performance and/or direction of church music (organ and/or choral), preferred
* Five years of experience as church music director preferred.
* Experience in directing volunteer church choirs, handbell choirs, and related groups of all ages.
* Willing to support the PUMC’s mission, its worship programs, and spiritual needs through excellence of the music program.
* Display leadership ability to inspire and sustain interest on the part of volunteer choir members or instrumentalists.
* Display strong and cooperative interpersonal skills and flexibility.
* Perform effectively in a team environment with limited supervision.
Compensation up to $18,000 and hours depend on qualifications and agreed hours and responsibilities.To apply for this job please forward your Cover Letter and Resume to our Search Committee chairperson, Mr. Rob Heare by Email.