General description of work:
The Controller/CFO oversees all areas of financial policies, accounting and business administration under the direction of the CEO. Working in a team environment, the Controller/CFO directs the activities of accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, financial reporting, and general accounting. Integrates the vision, culture, and core values of the Long Beach Rescue Mission into the Accounting and Administrative team.
• Develops, oversees, and ensures compliance with all financial policies and procedures
• Provides counsel and timely reports to the CEO in all phases of financial matters
• Develops and maintains appropriate internal controls, accountability, segregation of duties in all transactions, and cash operations and controls of all Mission funds
• In coordination with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team, prepares and maintains an annual budget plan, and related controls to spending within budgetary limitations
• Development of fixed asset management and capital budget expenditures
• Prepares financial reports and projections for cash flow and budget compliance
• Manages Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll and Check preparation
• Ensure the proper accounting for restricted or designated funds and expenditures
• Coordinates and interacts with outside auditors; interfaces with regulatory agencies
• Participates in strategic planning and evaluation
• Responsible for contract management and auditing
• Supervises the activities of the accounting, administrative, and human resources staff
• Ensures that all tax reporting and financial reports are filed in a timely manner
• Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or CPA required
• Minimum of 5 to 7 years of strong accounting and auditing experience
• Solid understanding of nonprofit organizations; majority nonprofit experience preferred
• Knowledge of foundations and grant funding and reporting a plus
• Government contract and audit experience a plus
• Supervisory skills and experience; ability to accomplish work through the efforts of others in a team-leadership model
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Proficient with MS Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), QuickBooks
• Knowledge and acceptance of ECFA Standards and Best Practices
Personal Attributes and Values:
• Have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and a deep desire to serve Him
• Be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ
• Exhibits spiritual maturity as defined by evangelical biblical standards
• Demonstrates a courteous and Christ-like manner with internal and external partners
• Has a heart of compassion and caring toward the homeless and hurting, and is passionate about ministering life transformation in a multi-ethnic urban ministry setting
• Commitment to the mission and values of Long Beach Rescue Mission
• Possesses and demonstrates excellent integrity
In any position with the Long Beach Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. This is the case with this position. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of the Long Beach Rescue Mission services.
Education and/or Certification: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or CPA. Government contract experience a plus. Minimum of 5 to 7 years strong accounting and auditing experience required.
Supervisory Responsibilities and Relationships: Supervises Accounting and Human Resources Staff. In concert with other Senior Leadership Team (SLT) members, may act in place of CEO on occasion.
Interacts with vendors, auditors and public agencies under the direction of the CEO. Works closely and coordinates with SLT as well. Reports to and is evaluated by the CEO.
Requirement: Long Beach Rescue Mission is a 501(c)(3) non profit, evangelical Christian Ministry; as such, employees must share the Mission’s Statement of Faith and Lifestyle, and adhere to the Mission’s employee policy manual and guidelines set forth by the CEO. This position requires a Conflict of Interest Statement.To apply for this position send cover letter and resume email@example.com