This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
New Horizons Youth Ministries
Marion, Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 08/10/2009
Categories: House Parent
Job Type: Full-Time
It is the mission of New Horizons Youth Ministry to help struggling youth transform into healthy Christian adults
Who We Are:
For over 35 years, New Horizons Youth Ministry has been assisting parents with their high-potential youth who are making at-risk decisions. They provide a therapeutic Christian education in a boarding school environment—with campuses in Indiana, the Dominican Republic and Canada.
The Three Foundational Pillars:
NHYM incorporates a separate home-life, education and counseling department into each of the three types of inter-related schools.
Students live with their house team in a family-type stetting. These closely knit family units help develop students' relationship skills, foster feelings of self-worth and augment personal Christian growth.
Both year-round boarding schools use a mixture of group and tutorial methods in small, stimulating classes that allow for close student supervision and individual instruction. Schools are certified by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and cover all major subject areas.
Social Services provides weekly individual counseling and group therapy sessions, crisis counseling as needed, individual case conferences and treatment plans and regular progress reports.
Getting Results for Our Families:
NHYM facilitates positive change in at-risk youth through relationships, structure, hard work and discipline.
Currently we are seeking to fill the position of a Male Resident Assistant:
This position requires a "live in" work situation in a student residence with approximately 10 students on a full-time basis. A bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required for this position. Qualified candidates need to be 21 years of age or older and possess a strong desire to work in youth ministry. A successful candidate will provide leadership and supervision in a Christian boarding school environment and will work to support the students and help them to fulfill their responsibilities, to grow spiritually, to be academically successful and to develop leadership skills. Some specifics for a resident assistant (RA) role include the following:
• Build warm, positive, redemptive relationships with students and staff. Overall, he keeps the structure of the home by holding students accountable to the rules and building relationships.
• Be the principal authority figure, father figure, standard-setter, and enforcer in the student residence.
• Provide for the operation and administration of the house.
• Provide for the overall supervision of all students and their activities (active supervision vs. passive), while in his care.
• Provide for the general spiritual atmosphere and training in the house.
• Teach students living skills in the house
• Oversee inspection of student jobs
• Dispensing medications, being the “first source” for student’s medical complaints, and working with the campus medical officer to ensure that the students’ medical needs are taken care of
• Perform bed checks two times a night
• Communicate discipline issues with the Dean of Students
• Provide informal counseling to students on daily life
This position requires working all weekend. The majority of the hours worked during the week are evenings.
To apply, fill out an application found on our website http://nhym.org/contact-new-horizons-youth-ministries.html
Send application via one of the following:
Fax (765) 662-1407
Human Resource Department
1002 S. 350 E. Marion, IN 46953